Issue: Pages and Cloud Computing

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Aug 20, 2012 at 7:36 PM

When saving changes to a custom page, does BlogEngine.NET write to the file system even when it's configured to use SQL Server?

I'm using BlogEngine.NET

The reason that I ask is because I've noticed that when I reload a recently-edited page, sometimes I see the changes and sometimes I don't.  It seems to be delayed due to the automatic file system propagation occurring on my host (GoDaddy 4GH).

This is a problem for me because it makes it very difficult to manage my custom pages.  The first time it happened I ended up getting two pages in the system with the same name and different content.  I was able to delete one of them and the other seems to be up-to-date; however, this doesn't seem like a permanent solution.

If I've identified the problem correctly, then do you plan to fix it in the future?  I expect that pages should use SQL Server entirely without relying on the file system, just like, presumably, the way blog entries work when configured to use SQL Server.

If you need more information about my site configuration, please ask.  I'd be happy to post my config file or other details as necessary.

Aug 20, 2012 at 8:37 PM

If configured to use SQL server, pages saved to database just as posts and almost all other content with few exceptions (logs for example). You can create new page and then FTP to your host and verify that app_data does not have this page added. If it does, you probably did not set SQL server as default provider. In any way, there should be no difference between posts and pages regarding where they saved.

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I checked the App_Data/pages folder as you suggested and found only a single .xml file containing "This is an example page".  So it seems that I've configured it properly, yet I'm still experiencing this strange issue.

Do you have any other ideas as to the cause of this problem?  Does the site depend on local memory such as a work queue or session state?  If so, I suspect it could be a problem as well, unless it uses SQL Server session state?

- Dave

P.S. Thanks for your reply and for your work on this blog software - it's much better than my old CS site.