I can't see the blog, help!

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer
Sep 9, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I have just installed the blog and I got this error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 8:    </configSections>
Line 9:    <BlogEngine>
Line 10:     <blogProvider defaultProvider="XmlBlogProvider"  fileStoreProvider="XmlBlogProvider">
Line 11:       <providers>
Line 12:         <add description="Xml Blog Provider" name="XmlBlogProvider" type="BlogEngine.Core.Providers.XmlBlogProvider, BlogEngine.Core"/>

Source File: \\web-123win\winpackage22\bridgesocialnetworkingevents.co.uk\www.bridgesocialnetworkingevents.co.uk\web\content\blog\web.config    Line: 10

Show Additional Configuration Errors:

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.272

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:24 PM

The error says that directory not configured as application in IIS. If you have access to IIS, do right-click app folder and then convert to application. If your site is on the host, you should have some kind of control panel to allow set folder as application.

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:55 AM
Edited Oct 17, 2012 at 4:56 AM

I am encountering the same problem!

Initially, I attempted to setup two BlogEngine 2.6 blogs on newly-created virtual directories on two of my production websites. Both of these websites are located on the same web IIS7 servers at my web hosting company. This company specializes in ASP.NET web applications, and has been very co-operative.

After a week of working with the tech support staff of the hosting company, I threw-in the towel on the idea of using virtual directories, and purchase two new domain names for these Web Blogs. I setup these two domains on the same IIS7-based web server, and then meticulously followed the BlogEngine installation instructions; and when I encountered installation problems, I was able to solve them by reading related posts in this and other forums. I am now down to the last problem and I desperately need help.

I have been unsuccessful in getting any of the Administration pages to render correctly. I am sure that the App_Data folder has the correct permission because I am able to log into these test blogs and navigate to administration pages. (I have also added a new MIME entry of .cshtml and text/html.)

Instead of displaying these pages in the html or cshtml formats, they are displayed as the Dashboard and Appearance pages shown below:

@using BlogEngine.Core @using BlogEngine.Core.Web.Extensions @{ Page.Title = Resources.labels.dashboard; Layout = "_Layout.cshtml"; }

@Resources.labels.viewAll @Resources.labels.emptyTrash

@using BlogEngine.Core @using BlogEngine.Core.Web.Extensions @{ Page.Title = Resources.labels.extensions; Layout = "../_Layout.cshtml"; var extensions = ExtensionManager.Extensions.Where(x => x.Key != "MetaExtension").ToList(); var canManagePackages = BlogEngine.Core.Blog.CurrentInstance.IsPrimary; extensions.Sort( (e1, e2) => e1.Value.Priority == e2.Value.Priority ? string.CompareOrdinal(e1.Key, e2.Key) : e1.Value.Priority.CompareTo(e2.Value.Priority)); List manExtensions = new List(); foreach (KeyValuePair ext in extensions) { var oExt = ExtensionManager.GetExtension(@ext.Key); manExtensions.Add(oExt); } }

@if (Blog.CurrentInstance.IsPrimary) {

@foreach (var x in manExtensions) { var lnk = string.IsNullOrEmpty(x.AdminPage) ? string.Format(Utils.RelativeWebRoot + "admin/Extensions/Settings.aspx?ext={0}&enb={1}", x.Name, x.Enabled) : string.Format(x.AdminPage, x.Name, x.Enabled); if (x.Settings.Count > 0 && x.Settings[0] != null && x.ShowSettings != false) {

Change Priority

@Resources.labels.priority <input type="text" /><input type="text" />*

<input type="text" value="@Resources.labels.save" />@Resources.labels.or @Resources.labels.cancel

@Resources.labels.installed @if (canManagePackages) { | @Resources.labels.gallery }

} else {

@Resources.labels.installed @if (canManagePackages) { | @Resources.labels.gallery }

The two blogs in question are located at:

I do not have access to the IIS Manager for these pages but I have a good working relationship with the hosting company. (The only thing that I have been unable to try is adding a wildcard application map in aspnet_isapi.dll, but if this is the solution, I will ask the web hosting company to do it.)

Thanks in advance.

James H. Barnes