Redact Website Name into Image

Topics: Controls
Nov 17, 2008 at 2:53 PM
Hi BlogEngine fans,

A prospective client is asking if we can provide an extension that automatically redacts their site name "into" an image.

They are publishing fashion designs and sketches which they want to protect by overlaying automatically their site name bottom-right corner. They have a number of author/editors contributing to the site, some with basic editing/Mac/PC skills, so therefore a PC-based utility to do this is impractical. As an example, Getty Images overlay their title to artwork samples to protect from IP theft.

This could be a senior moment on my part, but I'm convinced CommunityServer Version 1.1 had such an inbuilt feature.

Is there anyone who can suggest a suitable extension to do this (or as old as Dave Burke or I in remembering that feature in CS1.1)

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:59 PM
Perhaps I could make clearer by adding they want all uploaded images (at the point of upload) to be tagged with their name.

I guess there's a few options:
  • The physical image could be updated at the point of upload.
  • The image when displayed is filtered somehow to include the site name.
Just a thought and clarification.

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:12 PM
Check out this post on adding watermark at run time (I believe this is what you want to do)?

You can also take a look at this one on securing images in BE or Asp.Net in general, might come in handy in your case. You don't need to secure images, but you can use same idea to serve them marked with logo at run time.
Nov 18, 2008 at 9:55 AM
Thanks. Item 1 should do the trick. Thanks for the links. Nick
Feb 23, 2009 at 7:07 PM
I have a similar requirement to watermark images on posts that are of certain categories - for example, Imprint category. The requirement dictates that the uploaded picture be not modified because when the viewers actually pay for the Imprints, then the viewers can download the image without watermark.

Anybody has done anything similar that forced them to modify the core? My first thought is to modify the ImageHandler.cs. But this class has no access to the Post class. Do I add a new property to the ImageHandler class so it knows whether to add the watermark or not?

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:21 AM
We tried and failed to get RTUR's suggestion working. Need to review when we get some spare time, unless someone has this built into a component.

However, Windows Live Writer does have Watermark options under Advanced Image Settings. You can place your text into one of the four corners of the image, change font size and text. A temporary solution until we get back to the ideas above. Advanced Image Settings also provides 90 deg rotates, Contrast, Crop, Tilt and (hover) alternate text.