Getting Error Code and Special Chracters Are Displaying on the Screen

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Nov 4, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Has anyone come across this issue....

Recently, we noticed a screen full of special characters displaying on our blog. I removed all of the XML post files from a certain date and the issue went away. I put the XML files back into the directory and the site worked fine until the next person accessed the posts from that same day. When they did, the screen displayed special characters again.

I am running version 2.0 via IIS 7.5. BlogEngine has been running fine for the past 2 years until this issue started a few days ago.

My Event Logs are also filling up with this error from the same site:

Exception information:
    Exception type: XmlException
    Exception message: The 'comments' start tag on line 22 does not match the end tag of 'post'. Line 70, position 3.

Any assistance would be helpful.

 

Nov 4, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Hi, 

I've come across this before (or at least something similar), it happened because one of the XML post files had become corrupted for some reason.

The solution, if I remember correctly was a process of elimination, working through the file store removing small groups of files until the blog started working again. From there it was easy enough to isolate the corrupted file. The exception message posted above does suggest some sort of file corruption, if this is the problem then you have a head start, since you already have a date range for suspect files.

Of course it might be something else, but seeing as you have already tried this by removing a group of files from a particular date and problem went away, it looks likely that that is the problem.

Best of luck.