Basic Setup Fails

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:15 AM

Surely it can't be that hard to do a straight forward BlogEngine installation.

This is my first attempt with BlogEngine and I followed the instructions step by step explicity. without success.

It loads on my Win7 PC running IIS but not on a onCloud (shared) server at (a premium microsoft partner).  Instead giving me Server 500 style errors.  I also don't get any detailed error messages.

At the end of the day I want to spend time developing my blog not learning to be a .net or wordpress (the fallback) developer.

Any help would be most appreciated.

1. New /blog/ directory was established on my IIS web server via ftp
  2. Support turned this into an application folder as per their KB article
  3. IIS4 + Integrated pool mode configured
  4. Downloaded WebProject files
  5. Opened files and checked them on local Win7 machine running IIS - all good
  6. Copied unchanged files up to server under /blog directory
  7. Go to ***.com/blog/ and receive 500 - Internal Server Error

I double-checked with MyHosting and they provided me with more detailed error message:

Module CustomErrorModule
Notification SendResponse
Handler ASP.NET4.0-aspx (managed)
Error Code 0x80070021
Config Error This configuration section cannot be used at this path. This happens when the section is locked at a parent level. Locking is either by default (overrideModeDefault="Deny"), or set explicitly by a location tag with overrideMode="Deny" or the legacy allowOverride="false".
Config File \\?\D:\CustomerData\webspaces\webspace_00106344\wwwroot\www.***.com\blog\web.config
Requested URL http://www.***.com:80/blog/Default.aspx
Physical Path D:\CustomerData\webspaces\webspace_00106344\wwwroot\www.***.com\blog\Default.aspx
Logon Method Not yet determined
Logon User Not yet determined
Config Source
231: -->
232: <staticContent>
233: <clientCache cacheControlMode="UseMaxAge" cacheControlMaxAge="365.00:00:00" cacheControlCustom="public"/>

8. Searched web for instructions how to solve.  Very little useful info available.

What next?

Nov 14, 2012 at 2:03 PM

You host does not allow custom staticContent section - remove it from web.config, it will use default values set by host.

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Thanks rtur however staticContent is commented out by default.

Nov 14, 2012 at 7:11 PM

There are two places where it used, you need to comment both. Very end of web.config.

Nov 14, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Ah huh! That's good!

Now I can see the configuration errors. I can work with that.

Thank you so much.