Building an enterprise blog on BlogEngine.NET

Topics: Business Logic Layer, Themes
Dec 4, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I have whats probably a stupid question for this group, but before I throw a request up on ELance, let me try you guys.

I have a client who wants to build what I'd call an "enterprise blog".  200+ authors, 1000s of posts... its almost like a baby Yelp or Patch more than what I'd call a "blog", but I related it as a blog because of the features it has (posts, comments, track backs, etc).

BlogEngine has nearly everything I need, and may have everything, I'm just not smart enough to deploy it.

The functionality I don't see is the teir of users & assignment ability..  I basically see three classes of user

Admins - god level permission to everything (BlogEngine has this)

Authors - ability to post & moderate only in sections assigned to them.  They can create new blogs, add pages, etc. ( I don't see how to do this).

Public - able to comment on articles (really a non permission, but still need to this and BlogEngine does.)

We've used BlogEngine a little for smaller stuff, so we have a base level of understanding, but regardless of what we go forward with I'll be quoting out the actual development/configuration/implementation. 

I'm mostly curious of the group of IF it can be built on BlogEngine or not as a guide to how I write up the work/quote request (development of a blog from scratch vs BlogEngine configuration task).  I came here because as I was writing up the task I kept finding myself crossreferencing one of my BlogEngine sites to ensure I accounted for all the functionality in my scope document.

Thanks

Scott

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:34 AM
Edited Dec 5, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Hi Scott,

"The functionality I don't see is the teir of users & assignment ability..  I basically see three classes of user

As of BE 2.5 you can create your own users roles and give them what ever rights you want them to have.

Admins - god level permission to everything (BlogEngine has this)

Authors - ability to post & moderate only in sections assigned to them. 

They can create new blogs, add pages, etc. ( I don't see how to do this).

Here is how to do that :)

http://allben.net/post/2011/06/19/Introducing-Multiple-Blogs-in-Single-Instance-for-BlogEngineNET

I'm mostly curious of the group of IF it can be built on BlogEngine or not as a guide to how I write up the work/quote request (development of a blog from scratch vs BlogEngine configuration task)

What you had said so far seems like you can use BlogEngine.Net as your frame work for your project.

If BlogEngine.Net has the functions you need it makes no sense to rewrite an blog from scratch that would be too much work and not cost effective.

It will need be customized for your client specific needs and maybe some tweaking to handle the heavy volume you are describing. 

200+ authors with 1,000's of posts.

For sure you would need to use an Database like SQL and not the default xml database provider.

I came here because as I was writing up the task I kept finding myself crossreferencing one of my BlogEngine sites to ensure I accounted for all the functionality in my scope document.

We are here to help you :)

Things to keep in mind.

Try to keep things simple and not over think things.

Use BlogEngine.Net as your framework to build on top of.

BlogEngine.net has many useful features and is customizable.

When planing out your project you need to plan it with a mind set of what you want it to do and etc and not what platform it will be using.

Then after you documented all of your requirements then take that and check off where BlogEngine meets those requirements.

Then for the parts it don't those are areas where you have to "add" that function to BlogEngine.

BlogEngne.Net has many features and some are not really well known.

So you would need some one that knows BlogEngine.Net really well to go over with you on the requirements because there might be things you

think BlogEngine won't do but it actually will do it just a matter of knowing how to do it.

Hope this helps.

If you like you can contact me directly at:

Kbdavis07@Yahoo.com

Have a Great Day,

Brian Davis

kbdavis07.info