missing posts after updating site

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Dec 13, 2012 at 6:07 PM
Edited Dec 13, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I just updated my blogengine.net 2.5 site (some custom changes to a couple of the asp.net pages) and now I'm missing all of my posts.  The odd thing is that the posts are missing only in IE.  Firefox, Chrome show all the posts.  IE shows nothing.  I've cleared cache, restarted IE, restarted website, restarted app pool.  IE still shows nothing, other browsers are fine.  This is only a problem on my production site (on a webfarm).  On the test server (non webfarm) everything works fine.

Any ideas anyone?

 

Update:

I've deleted all the updated files, replaced the original files, modified web.config, restarted the app pools, cleared my client cache.  IE still shows 0 posts.  Firefox and Chrome work fine.  I'm thinking the next step may be: dynamite IE.

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:13 PM
alex_brambila wrote:

I just updated my blogengine.net 2.5 site (some custom changes to a couple of the asp.net pages) and now I'm missing all of my blogs.  The odd thing is that the blogs are missing only in IE.  Firefox, Chrome show all the posts.  IE shows nothing.  I've cleared cache, restarted IE, restarted website, restarted app pool.  IE still shows nothing, other browsers are fine.  This is only a problem on my production site (on a webfarm).  On the test server (non webfarm) everything works fine.

Any ideas anyone?

You could try to Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browser and untick Disable Script Debugging.

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Disable Script Debugging is unchecked, and Display a Notification About Every Script Error is checked.  There are no script errors.

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Update:

I've restored the site from last nights backup and I'm still seeing the save results: IE shows 0 posts, Firefox and Chrome show all of them (hundreds).

Coordinator
Dec 14, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Do you have a public URL to look at? This is pretty bizarre behavior. Sometimes when web server runs on the webfarm and it is not synced you could get something like that, because browser might keep a connection to specific instance. But I've never seen anything like this with BE. You might also output server IP on the page to see what instance used in each case. And if you are using XML provider, for webfarm would be better to switch to DB provider and see if it makes difference.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Edited Dec 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM

http://myyp.com/blog

 You can access a secific server like so:

http://myyp.com:8022/blog

http://myyp.com:8021/blog

Both show the same thing: nothing in IE, all of the posts in FF or Chrome.  I've checked this from multiple machines and I get the same results.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Also a database restored from last night's backup fixed nothing.

Coordinator
Dec 15, 2012 at 5:22 AM

If you go directly to the post:

http://www.myyp.com/Blog/post/Consignment-Stores-A-Treasure-Trove-of-Savings-Opportunities.aspx

You can see it in IE just fine, so nothing is wrong with you database or web farm. I bet if you switch to standard theme you'll see list of posts in IE too. The problem is with your theme that seems to use JavaScript to load post list, and you get script errors on the page. One thing I noticed you have broken Jquery reference:

http://www.myyp.com/BlogEngine.Web/Scripts/jQuery/jquery-1.4.3.js

Could be left over from previous install, you can remove it as JQuery already loaded by BE. See if it will make any difference.

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:13 PM

It works if I use IE10 on my laptop. It looks like script problem, there should IE setting to diagnose.

It doesn't work on IE8 in my mobile, but it doesn't give me much of a chance to investigate.

Dec 17, 2012 at 4:39 PM

It's been working for over a year with the current theme.  The jquery-1.4.3.js ref was added 5 months ago and has also been fine.  I removed it, but it didn't make a difference.

 

Dec 17, 2012 at 4:49 PM

This post doesn't load for me in ie8:

http://www.myyp.com/Blog/post/Consignment-Stores-A-Treasure-Trove-of-Savings-Opportunities.aspx

 

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:57 PM
Edited Dec 17, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Based on looking at the HTML code that was output to the browser, on line 160 there is a line that contains the following: 

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument>

This happens because the text of the post was copied from Microsoft Word and pasted into the post in BE and you're copying all of Word's formatting as well (I'm guessing you're using Word to create the post, check for spelling errors, etc., and then copying and pasting into BE). IE versions less than IE10 interprets the "mso 9" portion and acts accordingly. What you should do is set Word to post directly to your blog to avoid that from happening while maintaining your formatting.

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Edited Dec 18, 2012 at 6:24 PM

That definitely fixed the problem.  I'm glad you spotted this.  I was starting to loose my sanity.

Thanks

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:31 PM
alex_brambila wrote:

That definitely fixed the problem.  I'm glad you spotted this.  I was starting to loose my sanity.

Thanks

Glad I could help!