which web.config to modify customerrors in admin pages?

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Nov 26, 2008 at 8:34 PM
Hi All: I've had BE 1.4.6 running for awhile on a website...and I moved the entire website to a new server a few months ago and it's been running OK there as well, but I just logged in as an admin to change some settings and when I click save I get the .net error page mentioning to turn off custom errors.

I thought at first it was a write-permissions error on the app_data directory, but I checked and both the "network service" and "asp.net" users have "change" permissions.

So I thought I'd turn off custom errors to see what the problem is, but it seems that I have three web.config files: in the webroot, in the BE application root, and in the admin folder itself, and setting "customerrors" to "off" in any of those files did not work?
Nov 28, 2008 at 9:02 PM
Hi All: Just responding to my own post. The problem I experienced had to do with inheritance in the nested web.config files.

In the end, I was able to fix the problem by turning off inheritance in the root application's web.config by wrapping <system.web> with:

<location path="." inheritInChildApplications="false">

Hopefully this will help someone in the same situation.

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:46 PM
i think i have this very problem.... but when I had the <location path="." inheritInChildApplications="false"> to my parent application web.config i get unrecognized attribute errors in the file and my application still wont compile without errors.
could it be that IIS is not configure properly..  if i look at the valid attrributes of the <location> tag it only shows path and allowOverride??

If i look at the application properties in IIS it says its using ASP.Net version 2.050727  i assume thats all correct..

if anyone has any idea I would be verry greatful.
Dec 4, 2008 at 1:59 PM
Hi jjme88:

If you use "inheritInChildApplications='false'" then you should not have any BE-specific code in your parent web.config, and your sub-application web.config should be the one pre-configured in the BE source. AFAICT IIS will respect these settings as long as the BE directory is configured as a separate application in IIS.

When you receive errors compiling, are you compiling your entire web app with the sub-app for BE? Or are you just compiling the BE app itself? What are the compile errors?

If you're still having problems you could try the reverse -- remove the sub-application from the project and include all your BE configuration in the parent web.config. Then you just have to adjust the paths in the web.config to include the sub-directory.
Dec 4, 2008 at 2:23 PM
hi dotnetnoob thanks for the fast response..

I get the following error;

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized attribute 'ininheritInChildApplications'. Note that attribute names are case-sensitive.

Source Error:

Line 13: 		</sectionGroup>
Line 14: 	</configSections>
Line 15: 	<location path="." ininheritInChildApplications="false">
Line 16: 		<system.web>
Line 17: 			<!--

I may have to try your suggestion.. Is it a simple case of taking everything in the root blogengine web.config  and mergng it very carefully into my parent application web.config? as ugly as it maybe..

I would really like to resolve the aboce error though it feels like ISS does not recognise it or something...

thanks for your help on this
Dec 4, 2008 at 2:38 PM
Hi jjme...look at your code...there's a typo:
<location path="." ininheritInChildApplications="false">
you have "ininherit" instead of "inherit" (happens to the best of us!)
Dec 4, 2008 at 2:46 PM
thanks for that boy do i feel stupid!!

everything does appear to work but ... my only problem is Visual studio 2005 still does not recognize it as a valid tag.. I believe thats a know thing with 2005.. will find out when my VS 2008 arrives...