Is BlogEngine eating the server resources?

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer
Dec 2, 2008 at 4:20 PM

first of all, I love BlogEngine. It's a fantastic blogging tool, the best one, actually.

However, I've been facing some big problems with it. I installed it in our web server alongside our website (a movie site - and our forum ( So it has two SQL Server databases running.

Well, the problem is: our server got extremely slow after we've installed BlogEngine. The funny thing is: our two databases are HUGE and we get hundreds of thousands of hits every day. The server never had problems with it. But BlogEngines, somehow, broke its stability.

Here how it happens: as the blog gets hits, the server gets progressively slower and slower. Then we have to re-start it so it gets back to normal. However, in 24 hours tops, it's impossible to access it yet again. And so another reboot is mandatory.

Is BlogEngines eating RAM and not freeing it again when it's not necessary? What can we do to solve this?

And I don't even have to say that the problem got even worse when I installed two other blogs...

Thanks in advance! And please help me!!!
Dec 3, 2008 at 2:25 PM
Anyone? I'm starting to fear I'll have to give up on BlogEngine and I really don't want to! :(
Dec 4, 2008 at 5:17 PM
BlogEngine is not leaking memory. BlogEngine uses ASP.NET Caching technology pretty heavily. Almost everything gets cached (post entries, page entries and what have not. I think the issue is that the Application Pool that you have attached to BlogEngine is not setup with the default settings (where the memory manager sets a lower priority on the cached memory). I would make sure that the application pool that is setup for BlogEngine does not have any odd settings with it. Realistically you should have it setup to Automatically reset cache when memory is low.

Because of the heavy use of cache, it will by design take up a lot of memory and ram (in fact as much as the application pool it's on will allow it.) The cache that is allocated must have a higher priority than what ever other operations you are examining on your web server.
Dec 4, 2008 at 6:36 PM
Thank you!