Has anybody come up with a real way to show thumbnails in the blog view?

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls
Jan 3, 2013 at 5:37 AM

I've read about thumbnail extensions that are dead now, or only apply to older versions of Blogengine.

But I'm running BE 2.7, and I'd really like to find a way for thumbnails of the pictures in the posts show up when you're at the main blog page ... in my case, /blog/default.aspx.

I know it has something to do with the app_code/controls/relatedposts.cs file, but I have no idea how to alter it so that thumbnails of embedded pictures show up in the postview.

Can anybody offer any guidance in this regard?  Thanks!

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Edited Jan 3, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Have you tried ExcerptImages?

Post preview thumbnails are a feature of a couple of themes, but as you say these themes (notably Arthemia Pro and Channel Pro) were targeted at earlier versions of BE, but the code to insert the images is still relevant. Unfortunately, you would need to know a little programming to make use of it, but if you do then you can write a couple of utility methods and have images inserted just about anywhere. I'm not sure if thumbnail insertion as an admin function is earmarked for future releases of BE, nice if it was, the AuthorList control/widget in BE 2.7 makes use of avatars and is a nice touch.

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Edited Jan 3, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Hey, Jason,

Like Andy said, with a little source code you can extend BlogEngine.NET to display several types of post thumbnails. We did this in Sueetie, supporting author avatars, category image, first image from post, etc.  We documented it in the wiki.

You can see an example of category thumbnails on the Sueetie BE.NET news blog

May give you some ideas to help you.

Good luck,