Multiple URLs send to same content - SEO Issues in BE 2.8

Jun 1, 2013 at 7:12 PM
I detected an issue in BE 2.8 related to duplicate content and SEO issues.

When you enable or disable the add date to the URL of the posts, BE does't redirect to the new URL creating duplicate content when reindexed by search engines.
For example, this link from
Lead us to the same content from this add date to url
Resulting in duplicate content as for the search engines. Also it happends when you change the root of the install folder of BE, for example:
For SEO purposes the 4 diferents URLs are duplicate content if not redirected to the correct URL
A 301 redirect could fix this issue, but the fix also have to check for extensionless URLs and WWW subdomains. I hope a patch could be released soon to fix this SEO issue.

P.D. I checked how wordpress deal with this issue, and seems to redirect to the correct URL in several ways. For example, all this URLs do a permanent redirect to the correct URL:
all do a 301 redirect to:
Jun 4, 2013 at 1:13 AM
I think that maybe this bug can be fixed by modifiyng the file post.aspx.cs and checking if the entry URL is different than the URL created by BE. If it is different then make a permanet redirect to the URL to avoid having 2 or more URLs to the same resource for a better SEO. Hope it help for make BlogEngine a better blogging platform. Thanks!
Jun 4, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Edited Jun 4, 2013 at 3:42 PM
I did the following change regarding the duplicate content issue with the default.aspx:

Both appear to Google as different pages with the same content. After I used the following quick fix the warning in Webmaster Tools has gone. Even the duplicate indexed default.aspx was removed from the Google Index.

default.aspx.cs, Method: protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
if (Request.RawUrl.ToLowerInvariant().Contains("default.aspx"))
        HtmlLink link = new HtmlLink();
        link.Href = "";
        link.Attributes["rel"] = "canonical";
I use BE 2.7 but it seems that BE2.8 works the same. Hope this helps...

Note: I should mention that I don't use post paging on my homepage, so maybe more work is required.