Add Entry Theme Question - Newbie Alert...

Topics: Themes
Jan 20, 2009 at 3:59 AM
I am using the StarGazer theme on When a user clicks Add Entry, the theme reverts to the Standard theme. How do I make all of the pages use the same theme?

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:49 AM
Normally when you click 'Add Entry', you are taken to the Add Entry tab in the control panel.  There should be a WYSIWYG editor on the tab to create a post.  Is it after the blog post is composed and saved that the theme reverts back to the Standard theme?
Jan 21, 2009 at 1:23 AM

It is the actual Add Entry tab in the control panal. All of the control panel tabs are in the Standard theme. When I go back to the main page it is in the StarGazer theme.

Jan 21, 2009 at 2:47 AM
Actually, that's normal.  The administrative pages in the control panel don't use the theme you've selected ... these pages use an administration master page located at /admin/admin1.master.  Only the administrators will see this.  Normal visitors to your website can't get into the control panel and will only see your selected theme.
Jan 21, 2009 at 3:39 AM
Thanks for the help Ben. I an hoping to use the blog on my family web site. I want each family member to be able to add their own entries and respond to others. All using single theme. I will post gain tonorrow.
Jan 21, 2009 at 6:30 AM
Don't feel bad, because all BlogEngine users have this two theme situation.  There's the main theme you choose (StarGazer).  This theme shows up to everyone on your blog outside of the control panel.  Then there's the control panel theme.

The control panel theme and regular themes are designed for two different purposes.  The control panel theme is designed with the control panel tabs going across the top, and the regular themes are designed to display blog posts, widgets, and have the navigation links for visitors to go to the Contact page, Archives page, Rss subscription, etc.

There's dozens of regular themes that people have developed, but only 1 theme (that I've seen) for the control panel.  You could create your own theme that looks like the StarGazer theme to replace the control panel theme.  This would require mixing some of the design elements in the StarGazer theme with the tabs in the control panel.