Widget with the last post of every categories

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls, Themes
Jun 23, 2013 at 5:14 PM
HI,
i want to create a widget and i want customize with the last post for category...
for example
i add a widget box in my site and i write in settings the name of category and in widget i display the thumbnail and the title of last post...
someone has already done something similar???
Thanks
Fabry
Jun 23, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Thought about doing something similar in the past for displaying categorized post lists, not unlike some of the WordPress themes that you see, where the most recent posts showing on the front page are grouped by category.

Not aware of A BlogEngine widget as such, but probably easy enough to write one up and probably quite useful for others who want that option. You could probably select from available categories and then choose how many posts you want to display. If you don't do one first, might have a bash at it, but won't be for a week or two.
Jun 24, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Andy i don't understand you can build a version of categorized post lists???

My idea was different widgets everyone with the last post of category..... of course it is always the same widget but with set one category

for example

widget category sports with last post
widget category music with last post
widget .........

the widget must show the image (thumbnail) and post title
Jun 24, 2013 at 2:55 PM
I think we are thinking along the same lines, but you could probably add a little more to it, for example:

The widget could present a drop down of available categories from which you select one.
Choose how many posts you want to display(could be just one post).

Then you can display these posts however you like, maybe have the first showing post image and any others as links in a list, a bit like this wordpress theme.
Jun 24, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Yes it's perfect , that's what I would like to..... Widget with name of category, date, number of comment, image, title link and then MORE with links of two others posts

the example of your link is perfect!!

another solution is to choose the category and the posts in that category in Widget (so i can decide if i want to display the last post or not)

so i can choose three posts (one with image and others with only title link)

What do you think????
Jun 24, 2013 at 3:22 PM
for default i will leave the last posts visible in three drop down but with possibility to change.... at the end the settings of widget must to have 4 drop down

1 for category
1 for post with image, title, etc..
2 for post with only title link
Jun 24, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Yes, I think you can factor in whatever options best suit you, if I were doing it as a general purpose widget I would start with simple settings of category and number of posts(with first displaying post image).
Jun 24, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Ok Andy let me know if you need a tester...
Jul 5, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Andy will be good also to put widget with random posts for Category... so i can choose the category and i can to display the thumb and title of random post and two links above...

what do you think??
Jul 5, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Hi Fabry
Been really busy and probably will be for the next couple of weeks.
What you suggest might be a little more involved, which is more time.
I'll try and get the basic one done (showing most recent posts from selected category).
Jul 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Good Andy
I'm working for to add another small sidebar in my site with random, best or last post for category in home page but when i choose a category my idea is to display 3 or 4 best post or random post of that category in this small sidebar. Every category must have best post
Can i see your basic code? if i use best post and not random post for you is more complicate?

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Not actually done anything as yet, but thoughts were that it would be fairly easy to grab most recent posts from category and feed them to HTML markup.
Most recent or random only would be easiest, next easiest would be to select posts from drop down(all posts in that category or perhaps say last 20).

You could decide what your criteria is for best posts i.e. most comments, most ratings, most views or combination(I'm planning to do that for popular posts at some point). That way you could drop the widget in and forget about it.
Jul 5, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Good idea select posts from drop down in widget for that category , will be good the first 10 post most views or for to init all posts for category so is possible to choose what you want to display

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Hi Andy

but if i want to create, a Home Page like theme-junkie.com (your example) ... with posts in categories in col left... exist an example in BlogEngine.net that catalogs the post in the categories?

Fab
Jul 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Hi Fabry,

I don't think I've seen any examples on how to do that, but I don't think it would be too difficult. I've sent you a sample category widget via your site. Unzip the file and drop it into your widgets folder. The widget will display up to 10 of the latest posts as an unordered list with the first item showing post image. The title of each widget will be set to the category title. You can style it how you like with CSS, but it does need more work. Presently nothing is cached and there may be some rough edges, but it lets you have a play around.
Jul 11, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Thank you very much Andy, you are a great... your widget work perfectly.

I replied by email... it's that i wanted....

read my email and tell me if my idea is possible...

Thanks again

Fab