New Theme?

Topics: Themes
Jun 26, 2013 at 12:21 AM
I'm trying my best to use BlogEngine.Net but I am having serious doubts. I cannot find a decent tutorial on how to create a new theme. I am a current WordPress user and figured that since I was a .Net developer, I should try to use something on the same platform and so far, this seems to be the best option out there, but I do not see any support for it nor do I see a vast development community using it/extending it. Can someone point me in the right direction for a tutorial on how to create a new theme for the latest release (2.8) of BlogEngine.Net?
Jun 26, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Edited Jun 26, 2013 at 12:40 AM
RTur did a walk through tutorial on converting the "Boldy" WordPress theme a while back.
That worked for me when I first started using BlogEngine, I think most of the stuff is still relevant.
Unfortunately his site appears to be down at the moment, but worth a look when it's back up.

Edit, looks like it's back.
Jun 26, 2013 at 3:07 AM
Edited Jun 26, 2013 at 3:09 AM
Hi Clockwiseq,

I agree with Andy RTur tutorial is a good place to start.

I had done a couple of BlogEngine.Net Conversions from WordPress themes.

My own personal website I had done this:

http://kbdavis07.info

also did the conversion of:

the Imprezz theme:

its at the gallery:

http://dnbegallery.org/cms/List/Themes/Imprezz9

Once you get a hang of it, it becomes easier to do.

Main thing is the changes in the .css files is where the majority of the changes would be at.

I do understand your frustrations with the lack of themes, widgets, extensions, and etc.

Are you looking to learn how to make themes for yourself or are you looking for a quick theme to use for your website?

If you are just looking for a theme and not wanting to learn you can post here and at other places like oDesk.com and others for some one to do it for you.

If you are looking for help in learning we are here are more than happy to help you along your journey.

Just ask away here and we will help you out :)

Have a great day!

Brian Davis

http://kbdavis07.info

Kbdavis07@Yahoo.com
Jun 26, 2013 at 3:40 AM
You could also modify a current theme ,this site is a adaptation of the standard theme.
Jun 26, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Wow! Thank you guys so much for your responses. @kbdavis07, to answer your questions, yes. I am looking for a quick theme to put on my blogs for now, but I am a software developer and am looking to extend BlogEngine.Net as well. I will take it one day at a time and hopefully will be able to get up and running with development soon on BE.Net. I'm going to take a look at Imprezz9. Thanks for the links and all the replies.
Jun 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Quick question. I guess my frustrations come from other platforms having standard features and those same standard features do not work in BE. For instance, trying to upload a new theme. I've downloaded the Imprezz9 theme and then uploaded to the themes folder but when I login to the dashboard, it doesn't show up in the list. I've tried several themes and they do not show up either. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Coordinator
Jun 26, 2013 at 9:46 PM
You should go to admin panel and under customize/themes click "gallery" link. This will let you select any theme in the gallery and install it with a button click.
You can also rename folder you copied so its name not conflicts with existing theme, restart app and it should pop up in the "installed themes".