workflow for mac-based designer with no server access

Topics: Themes
Aug 1, 2013 at 4:51 PM
hi. I'm a mac-based developer tasked with developing a theme for

this is my first experience with any .net work of any sort. is there a way to develop and preview themes locally without installing a virtual machine running windows, or using a server?

pretty much the only thing that seems tenable is to use browser-based live design tools on an existing theme and then rename the thing when I'm done. that seems really wonky though.

(please use platform-agnostic words if you can, please. I have no experience at all with windows.)

thanks much.
Aug 1, 2013 at 6:35 PM
For themes you mostly modify HTML markup with few server-side tags. It is usually just a few files with exception of images/scripts you might want for your theme, so it is easy to modify them locally in any code editor and push to the server to verify it looks properly. So you can get hosting, free or inexpensive, and install BlogEngine there. For example bloggers online or Azure (free trial). Then you just FTP your files to the server and refresh page to see the changes.
As theme development goes, you can start by installing theme that somewhat resembles one you want to develop, then copy/paste theme folder with a new name, set is as default theme in admin and modify HTML/CSS etc. in that new folder to look as you like. Here some resources on developing themes for BE.
Aug 1, 2013 at 7:05 PM
thanks. this is exactly where I was headed, but thought I should ask first.
Aug 2, 2013 at 2:39 AM
Hi Patricking,

You can sign up for our BloggersOnline.Com Free BlogEngine.Net only hosting account by going here:

We are in the process of automating our account creation and did not update your website with it yet.

If you have any questions or need help with the BE theme please let us know :)

Brian Davis