Still trying to update BlogEngine.net...

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:13 AM
I realize there have been quite a few threads on this topic, yet I am still a bit uncertain about the best procedure I should follow.  Please excuse my ignorance - I will eventually overcome this.  Probably.

After downloading the latest source code, here is what I think I need to do:
  • Copy the new source files from the BlogEngine.net directory to the existing BlogEngine.Web directory in the Visual Studio 2008/Projects folder
  • Copy the new source files from the DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic directory to the BlogEngine.Core directory in the Visual Studio 2008/Projects folder
  • Open the BlogEngineCore.csproj in the BlogEngine.Core directory and do a release build
  • Open the BlogEngine.Web directory as website in Visual Studio to make any desired edits
  • Upload the BlogEngine.Web directory to the website
An alternative workflow that I think might be better is this:
  • Remove all of the BlogEngine.net directories existing on my machine presently in the Visual Studio 2008/Projects folder
  • Download and extract the new source files in the Visual Studio 2008/Projects folder
  • Open the BlogEngineCore.csproj in the DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic directory and do a release build
  • Upload the BlogEngine.Web directory to the website
  • Download the update website from the server and copy the files over the files in the BlogEngine.Web directory in the Visual Studio 2008/Projects folder
Yes, I realize I should probably know the answer, but I am second-guessing myself and I want to check the recommended workflow.
Jan 26, 2009 at 8:06 AM
The way I would do it is I would create a new folder for that version. For example I would stick both the core and web in a folder called changeset 1.4.5.x. I would load up VS 2008 setup both the core and site into one solution, compile the core, and run the site off your local first. If everything works start adding in your extensions and custom modifications if any and test to see if it works. If it does upload and test again :)