VB.net

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:53 PM
I am a VB.net developer who is looking for a blogging platform. I don't know php, so wordpress isn't ideal. I see that BlogEngine.net is a C# program. If I only know VB.net would I be able to customize and write custom code in BlogEngine?

Also, how does BlogEngine stand up to wordpress?

Thanks,

Michael
Coordinator
Aug 6, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Edited Aug 6, 2013 at 10:41 PM
At some point I experimented with extensions using VB.NET, not sure if anything changed from this perspective.

Wordpress runs over 60 millions websites (~18% of the internet), has multiple development teams and hundreds contributors to each release. BlogEngine a bit smaller in scope :)
Aug 7, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Wordpress is well Wordpress. It is unmatched in terms of community, plugins, themes etc. But it is written in PHP so hacking WP can be harder if you are not good with PHP. I went with Blogengine and could not be happier. BE just works right out of the box and has the needed functionality for a blog right of the bat. I have been working since the early 2000s so find BE a nice fit. You could also look at Orchard but I will tell you this Orchard is a PITA to work with. Orchard is powerful but will various modules to be added to get the functions you need for a blog.
Aug 7, 2013 at 12:53 AM
I downloaded and installed BlogEngine. Seems nice. Even got it to work with SQL Server.

I want to either create my own theme or totally change a theme. I made a couple of new folder in themes. One empty, and one I copied files from Standard Theme. No matter how many times I log out or even use a different browser the "new" themes won't show up in installed themes. What do you need to do to get them to show up? The documentations says if you make a new folder it will show up as a theme.

Also, if you modify a theme instead of creating a new one, what happens when you update to a new version of BlogEngine?

Thanks for your answers so far,

Michael
Aug 7, 2013 at 1:35 AM
I have had that issue with BE with the theme folders not showing. I either find i have to rename the folder or reup web.config to start the site to get them to appear.
Aug 7, 2013 at 2:49 AM
I figured out how to do get them to show up. I just restarted the BE website in IIS and they showed up. I didn't even have to log out of BE.

Now I will get back to trying to make my own theme. I may have more questions later.