Alternative CAPTCHA

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Lately it seems that bots are having no trouble at all solving reCAPTCHAs.

I decided to try and add the CAPTCHA to my blog. I believe it's starting to work now, but unfortunately I need changes all over the place: Web Control, it's code behind, JavaScript, etc.

What especially puzzles me is the wacky way the comment form is being submitted. Why are all the form values dumped into a -|- separated string? Why is ASP.NET form validation being skipped?

I'm pretty sure it would be possible to supply the necessary infrastructure so it would be possible to actually plug any CAPTCHA mechanism without requiring sweeping changes. Ideally, just adding the Extension source files/binaries would be enough. With it, extensions would be much more powerful and the software would become easier to use for people that don't want to spend too much time going through all the code to customize their blog :)
Aug 13, 2013 at 4:43 PM
I've been continuing work on adding support for this CAPTCHA type locally.
It all seems to be working fine now, but as I mentioned I needed to touch more files than I had hoped.

If it works okay here and it gets the desired results, I will probably spend some time into making it a contribution. Obviously I will then have to make the changes in the trunk version instead.