User Management

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Aug 23, 2013 at 9:43 AM
I've been using BlogEngine.NET for a few days now, and it seems a good fit for what I need to do.

What I would like to do is use an existing list of userids and passwords (held in a MySQL database) as the logins for BlogEngine.NET, and I am wondering how best to approach this.

1) I could simply add the records I need to users.xml (although I'll need to figure out how the passwords are encrypted). For the amount of users I have, the low volume of activity I anticipate, this would probably be adequate.

2) Try and develop some kind of link into the database used in the login process. I found a sample in the forum that looks like it would be a useful starting place.

Before I started I thought I'd see if anyone had any better suggestions about how I could go about this?

Thanks
Simon
Aug 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM
For option 2 you would have to implement your own Membership and Role providers.
It's very doable, but you do need some basic .NET programming knowledge (ADO.NET or Entity Framework for example).

If that sounds hard, doing the XML thing may be better, because only an example won't get you there :)