Page Speed Optimization for BE.Net

Topics: Themes
Sep 20, 2013 at 9:09 PM
BlogEngine.net does pretty okay 'out of the box' optimization wise (the responsive layout especially has saved me a lot of time), but I had some questions about possibly improving the performance.

My first question is, is it necessary for every content page to load the MCE Editor JS? My default page currently loads:
  • /editors/tiny_mce_3_5_8/plugins/syntaxhighlighter/scripts/shCore.js
  • /editors/tiny_mce_3_5_8/plugins/syntaxhighlighter/scripts/XRegExp.js
  • /editors/tiny_mce_3_5_8/plugins/syntaxhighlighter/scripts/shAutoloader.js
  • /editors/tiny_mce_3_5_8/plugins/syntaxhighlighter/shActivator.js
I haven't looked at them very closely, but since I have comments disabled there's no real need to have editing capability anywhere except for the in the Admin section. Can I just ditch these and not lose any functionality, or are they required for users reading/browsing?

I'll probably have some other questions as I dig deeper; if anyone wants to share optimization tips please let me know.
Coordinator
Sep 20, 2013 at 10:07 PM
These are for code syntax highlighter, not for editor itself. If you not using any code samples on your site, you can remove references. They pretty tiny scripts though, don't expect huge speed improvements :)
Sep 20, 2013 at 11:19 PM
rtur wrote:
These are for code syntax highlighter, not for editor itself. If you not using any code samples on your site, you can remove references. They pretty tiny scripts though, don't expect huge speed improvements :)
Yeah I've examined them more closely and come to the same conclusion. Code highlighting isn't a priority for this category so I think I'll be removing them from Site.master. I'm not concerned with the kb necessarily but rather the number of connections/blocking elements.