Extending Profile Functionality and use BE as social platform

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Oct 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Edited Oct 1, 2013 at 1:57 PM

First of all, I would like to thank you for bringing this great blog application to us.
We are working on an experimental project to use blogengine as a social platform like Facebook. When doing this, we aim not to touch core parts of blogengine so we can use new releases in the future. If it can be achieved as an extension that would be great but after investigating a little, it looks like we need to change web project even if we don't change the core.
We are not deep experts and if we achieve something that doesn't look silly we will convert it to opensource project.

Anyway some questions follows;
  • Profile table is flexible, it looks easy to add and use new fields for new users. But I'm not keen on creating new SQL connections and implement new mechanism. I checked AuthorProfile and JsonProfile classes, they are not implemented as partial class. Methods are not virtual. I couldn't find an elagant way to extend this. One option could be writing a container class, I don't know.
    What would be the best way to maintain new fields for Author Profiles in BE?
  • Do you have any suggestions for someone who plans to convert BE to a very simple Facebook like website? Performance suggestions perhaps?
Best regards