Make Posts viewable to registered users only

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Oct 2, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Hello,
I'm running Blogengine 2.8.0 and I want to make the Blog List only viewable to people who have registered. Is this possible?
Thank you
Coordinator
Oct 3, 2013 at 3:01 PM
You can set permissions for anonymous role in the admin similar to what described here. So you would revoke permissions to view posts from anonymous for you blog go private.
Oct 3, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Thanks rtur, but I already did this part.

What I want is to show the Pages of the blog to anonymous visitors, but hide the Blog List from them and only show it when they register.

Thanks again.
Coordinator
Oct 3, 2013 at 9:44 PM
If you talking about blog list widget (which I'm not sure) then no, it does not have role/user specific permissions. You would need modify code for it to work this way.
Oct 4, 2013 at 8:11 AM
mark1178 wrote:
What I want is to show the Pages of the blog to anonymous visitors, but hide the Blog List from them and only show it when they register.

Thanks again.
In the anonymous visitors role check allow viewing public pages, and then uncheck allow viewing of public posts :)

Screenshot for you:

https://www.diigo.com/item/image/458s2/q7sp?size=o
Oct 4, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Thanks kbdavis07,
I've tried that as well but it just takes the user straight to the Log In screen.
Oct 6, 2013 at 3:20 AM
Hi Mark,

If you like you can create me an admin account and email me the login details.

Kbdavis07@Yahoo.com I will check out your settings for you I bet something is not set right :)

It will be faster if I can take a look at it to see what is going on.

Thanks,

Brian Davis
Oct 7, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Thanks Brian,
I would but it's for my company and they won't approve that.

Thanks for the help though.
Oct 8, 2013 at 6:14 AM
Hi Mark,

Can you then just take a screen shot of the anonymous role rights and post it here then?
Oct 8, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Edited Oct 8, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Here are screenshots of my settings.
When I make the posts viewable, you can still see the blog list. That's what I want to hide from anonymous users. Right now people still have to log in, I want them to be able to see the site but certain sections of it viewable only if they register.
Thanks again

Oct 10, 2013 at 9:31 AM
You could maybe make use of this extension which looks like you would be able to setup categories that only certain people could access. I haven't used it yet, but plan to...

http://blog.lavablast.com/post/2008/08/BlogEnginenet-Post-Security.aspx
Oct 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Thanks Hoots,
Unfortunately it's giving me a runtime error. Looks like it's not configured to BE 2.8.0

Thanks again
Oct 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM
I've figured it out!

I think you just need to make sure that the anonymous role has minimum permissions. BUT you can't just uncheck everything as when you click save the system will put view public posts back on. I just put a tick in view role and it allowed me to save. Then if you logout and try to view the blog it will redirect you to the login page.
Oct 10, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Having re-read things, I think I misunderstood.

First make sure anonymous users can only view pages which I think you've done.

Next, Add a new role called say BlogViewers with just view public posts, view public comments and if required create comments etc.

Then in advanced settings... turn on self registration with a default role of BlogViewers so that if they register they can get involved in the blogging side of things.

I think that should do it.
Dec 19, 2013 at 5:12 AM
I tried something similar but it does not work:
For anonymous users I dont want to show them the pages.
I untick the option in the roles, but I log out and I can still see the page.

why!?