Problem with blog upgrade from 1.3 to 1.4.5

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:07 PM
Edited Feb 7, 2009 at 3:08 PM
Hello, I'm new to all these blogging things, but I used blogengine.NET 1.3. for a while (for about a year). Initially it was setup automatically through my GoDaddy hosting provider and MySQL database. Yesterday I've decided to upgrade the blog to 1.4.5. I made a full backup of my previous version, downloaded all new 1.4.5 files, erased the old blog and reinstalled the new files. After that I copied the app_data folder and themes, but... my all old postings, comments are gone. How do I get them to work on the new blog? Please help! What folders or/and files do I need to copy to my new blog in order to get old posts there?

Thanks.

Coordinator
Feb 8, 2009 at 5:46 PM
Probably your old posts were stored in the MySQL database.  The default installation of BE stores posts as XML files in the App_Data folder.  Do you still want to store data in a MySQL DB?  Do you have your new web.config file set so it's pointing to your MySQL DB?

There's a sample web.config file for a MySQL DB setup in the setup\MySQL folder.  The file name is MySQLWeb.Config.  There's also an upgrade script in that folder to upgrade a MySQL DB from BE 1.4 to BE 1.4.5.  There isn't an upgrade script to go from 1.3 to 1.4.5 and I'm not sure what differences there are between the 1.3 and 1.4.5 MySQL databases.

If you want to keep using MySQL, you can either try upgrading your old 1.3 MySQL DB, or manually copy your old posts from your 1.3 MySQL DB to a new 1.4.5 MySQL DB.  Or if you don't want to keep using the MySQL DB, you can put something together to manually copy your old posts out of the 1.3 MySQL DB into XML files.  There's this BE Provider Migration tool that might work with helping with this.  I don't know if it works for a 1.3 MySQL DB, but even if it didn't, tweaking and/or examining the code in the tool could definitely help with getting the migration to work.