Poll Widget

Feb 8, 2009 at 2:01 PM
Running 24719 the Poll Widget from http://fatihsever.com/post/BlogEngineNET-Poll-Widget.aspx has cause an out of range exception on the menu control line 80 using the Charity Theme's Site.Master
Has anyone got the poll widget to work? and what is the proper procedure for adding a widget to the blog space?
Feb 9, 2009 at 12:11 AM
Edited Feb 9, 2009 at 12:12 AM
I am using the poll widget on mi site. Have you tested it with the default or indigo theme?

Greetings from spain, gentleman.

P.d.: I just followed Faith's instructions and is working ok!!!

Feb 13, 2009 at 2:29 AM
Hi scottt40, did you manage to get your poll widget working. I am having problems as well. cant get it to show on my page despite following the install instructions.

Coordinator
Feb 13, 2009 at 4:41 AM
When you select the Poll widget from the widget dropdown box and click 'Add', it doesn't show up?

To eliminate the possibility of the problem being a conflict with a custom theme, temporarily switch to the Standard theme and see if you can add the widget to your blog then.
Feb 13, 2009 at 1:34 PM
Hi Ben,

Could be the theme, but I have tried the standard theme and I get the dreaded "OOPS PAGE NOT FOUND" error message when I try to add the poll widget. Am I missing something?

For the custom theme, its the nonzero theme, you might have come across it in the past. It doesn't have the 'add' drop down window. so i suspect it could be outdated or is there a way around this.

thx  
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2009 at 6:36 PM
I hadn't tried the nonzero theme before, but if it's this one which came out in the BE 1.3 era, then no, it doesn't appear to have been built with widget support (pre-widget era).

If you're using BE 1.4.5, it looks pretty easy to add widget support to the nonzero theme.  There's only 1 line in the standard theme that adds the "widget zone".

<blog:WidgetZone runat="server" ID="rightzone" />

I just downloaded the nonzero theme, added the theme to the latest BE version, and then added that line above at the top of the side bar:

<asp:Panel ID="Sidebar" CssClass="secondaryContent_3columns" runat="server">
    <blog:WidgetZone runat="server" ID="rightzone" />
    ... existing stuff

And the widget zone instantly worked.  The formatting was a little off, though.  In the standard theme's CSS file, there's a bunch of CSS classes for the widget zone ... they're in the section labeled "Widgets" in the CSS file.  You could try copying those styles into the nonzero theme CSS file you are using (looks like there are a few CSS files depending on what color scheme you're using).  You may need to adjust some of the CSS too depending on how it all looks.

With the standard theme, you get an "Oops, Page Not Found" error when you select the Poll widget and click the "Add" button?  If so that's strange, because when you click the Add button, the page doesn't (or shouldn't) even navigate anywhere.  It should execute some JavaScript that sends a request back to the server indicating that you've added the widget, but the page never changes.  Can you add other widgets in the standard theme without any errors?  Or is it just the Poll widget?  And what version of BE are you using?
Feb 13, 2009 at 8:04 PM
Ben, You are amazing. Adding the code got me the "add widget" drop down window to the nonZero theme. Had to play around with the CSS file to get it reasonably close to what I want.

I however think there is something about the poll widget that is throwing that error from every theme i try. Maybe when you get some time you can look at it. The url is:
http://www.fatihsever.com/post/BlogEngineNET-Poll-Widget.aspx.  I am just gonna leave it for now. I am using BE 1.4.5 by the way.

Do you know any fixes for silverlight 2 working with firefox3? There seems to be a conflict when I add a silverlight video. I have added the extension but it only seems to work with internet explorer not firefox.

thanks again for your help. 
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2009 at 8:16 PM
Yesterday, I did download the Poll widget and added the widget to my blog.  I can add it to 1.4.5 without any visible errors.

If you're using Firefox, you could check the Error Console (Tools -> Error Console) to see if you are getting any JavaScript errors when you click the 'Add' button.  There'll probably be a bunch of junk in the Error Console when you open it up ... I always click the 'Clear' button first (before doing any testing).

What about other widgets, can you add other widgets without any errors?

I'm not sure about the Silverlight/Firefox problem.  Haven't tried anything with that extension ...
Feb 13, 2009 at 8:39 PM
Other widgets work fine. Its just the poll widget i am having problems with. I have also cleared the Error Console.

Will reinstall the widget see if that makes a difference.

thanks
Apr 29, 2010 at 8:29 AM

I also had the same problem.

The Class name in the style sheet has a typo error.

Open the file widgets/poll/widget.aspx and the change the following class names:
1) pollResult-AnswersProgressBarContainer to pollResult-AnswerProgressBarContainer
2) pollResult-AnswersProgressBar to pollResult-AnswerProgressBar
3) pollResult-AnswersPercentage to pollResult-AnswerPercentage

You can alternatively update the poll.css as well.

Thanks

May 12, 2010 at 6:32 PM

The Poll conflicts with Jquery, maybe. I use jquery tabs for my homepage and can not get the poll widget to work. Yes, I can setup the poll, but cannot vote of see the results (all type of browsers) Firefox error console gives the errors:
Error: $("SelectError").style is undefined

$("PollForm").style is undefined

Does anyone has the same problem?