Sell BlogEngine Theme

Topics: Business Logic Layer, Themes
Nov 19, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Hi, can i sell on the net a theme for blogengine that i've created (on my personal website)
The license permit this?

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Added: I've found this
I think there's no limitation to sell the theme (and not only distribute themes for free) but i want to hear any other ideas about it.
Nov 19, 2013 at 2:05 PM
We definitely not going to sue you for that :) Quite opposite - would be happy to help if needed. We adding bunch of new features to help build better themes in coming version, allowing different templates for single post and page, comment form, adding custom fields etc. so it should be easier to create great looking themes than ever. I'm sure people would pay for this one. :)
Nov 19, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Thant's great, thanks.
My problem is not your will (i know it's important too) but the MS license if permit or not permit selling themes that, it's obviously, contains sourcecode of blogengine. I think that a theme can be call "derivated software" (as in Wordpress) and, in this condition, can be sold.
Thanks for all.
Nov 19, 2013 at 9:18 PM
I think maybe something like the WordPress model has to be the way to go, free and premium. Great when developers contribute of their free time and any right minded person surely appreciates that, but maybe down the line they can't afford the time and the theme/widget/extension falls by the wayside. Additionally, if it's a paid for item, then there is the incentive to invest time to better the offering and provide support.

The customization features in the pipeline for the next version of BE look great. Additionally, the "Simple Blog" theme, in my opinion is a good example of offering that bit extra in terms of features, functionality and style that probably does place it in the premium bracket.
Nov 20, 2013 at 7:12 AM
Andy, i don't speak about premium or other type of selling.
My question is about only a "legal question". I ask if the license of (a Microsoft free license) permit to sell something developed on it (a theme with blogengine sourcecode). That's it.
Nov 20, 2013 at 11:16 AM
That's a fair question "if someone wants to sell a BlogEngine Theme/Add-on, are there any impediments such as licence restriction preventing them doing so". I simply picked up on Rtur's response that selling a theme might be encouraged and followed up on that.
Nov 23, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Edited Nov 23, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Hi Desdinovait,

Here is the actual Microsoft Reciprocal License (Ms-RL)

Here are some parts that applies to BlogEngine in terms of adding new code and etc.

"(A) Reciprocal Grants- For any file you distribute that contains code from the software (in source code or binary format), you must provide recipients the source code to that file along with a copy of this license, which license will govern that file. "

Here you can distribute as you like as long you provide the recipients the source code with a copy of the MS-RL license.

You may license other files that are entirely your own work and do not contain code from the software under any terms you choose."

Here is where you can sell your themes "license other files that are entirely your own work " and you can then provide your own terms which allows
you to sell the theme and prevent others from selling or distributing it with out your permission first. The license that you release it under also
needs to spell out what rights the buyer has once they bought the theme.

So technically if you are going to sell your themes they need to be license under different terms other than the Microsoft Reciprocal License if
you do not want others to freely give away or sell your theme :)

If you do not license it under different terms then technically after some one buys a theme they can distribute it in any way they like as long it meets the
Microsoft Reciprocal License terms.

So legally under the terms of the Microsoft Reciprocal License you can " license other files that are entirely your own work and do not contain code from the software under any terms you choose" which in fact allows you to sell that code under the terms you choose.

With "files that are entirely your own work" you can not use code that are in other themes like for WordPress and etc and then modify it to run on BlogEngine.Net and sell it with out first getting permission or the correct license from the original developer of that theme, if you do get permission or the correct license those terms of the original theme needs to be also included in the theme Terms that you provide to the buyer.

You can search other websites that sells themes to see which licenses and terms they use to come up with the best option for you to use.

Have a great day!

Brian Davis
Nov 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Hi Brian, that is the answer i'm searching for. Thank you!
The problem was the words "and do not contain code from the software" and i thinked about the code of the blogengine... that is, obviously, in the theme.
Thanks you
Dec 2, 2013 at 2:58 AM
nopCommerce is a big e-Commerce app on Codeplex and there are entities selling commercial templates and themes for it. I don't see how BlogEngine would be different.