Getting Blogengine to work on

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Feb 16, 2009 at 5:33 PM
I have a hosted account on  I setup in a subfolder of my site named blog.  The site shows up without error but I can only view posts when I login using the admin account.  If I try to edit a post (the posted was created on my local computer and then uploaded) if gives me an error when I try to save.  It seems it must be with the permissions on the app_data folder but I'm having trouble editing those  on  I have websites users listed including the aspnet anonymous but when I used the permission manager it does not list any users to give read/write permissions to.  Any ideas?  I also posted to the site forum but figured someone here might have some experience with this issue.

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:14 PM
I too am having this same issue. Daustin, if you get an email with the solution, can you please send it to me as well? steve(at)

thank you.
Feb 17, 2009 at 4:57 PM
Actually, sorry I think my issue is different than yours. I can answer a little bit for you though.

You dont need to do anythign bug set your Blog folder to an application. Use the IIS manager to do this.

let me know if you have any more questions.
Feb 17, 2009 at 5:07 PM
Yeah, I too have a BE installation at  I'm pretty sure I never needed to set any write permissions on the App_Data folder.  It seemed to be setup over there where the ASPNET user had write permissions to all folders as soon as my hosting account was setup.
Mar 19, 2009 at 6:26 AM
Hey all,
I'm running into this as well, with I do have it working locally on Vista SP1/Visual Web Dev 2008 SP1.
And after uploading it to, and attempting to set the ASPNet User account with write perms to /App_Data as mentioned in the install screen cast, I'm running into the same issue. Seems to be an IIS6 configuration issue

Server Error in '/blog' Application.

Access to the path ':Drive\folder\folder\folder\blog\App_Data\settings.xml' is denied.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'E:\web\zillinoisco\htdocs\blog\App_Data\settings.xml' is denied.

ASP.NET is not authorized to access the requested resource. Consider granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity. ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or Network Service on IIS 6) that is used if the application is not impersonating. If the application is impersonating via <identity impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be the anonymous user (typically IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated request user.

To grant ASP.NET access to a file, right-click the file in Explorer, choose "Properties" and select the Security tab. Click "Add" to add the appropriate user or group. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the boxes for the desired access.

Source Error:

Line 150:        //  Persist settings
Line 151:        //-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Line 152: BlogSettings.Instance.Save();Line 153:        Response.Redirect(Request.RawUrl, true);
Line 154:    }

Source File: e:\web\zillinoisco\htdocs\blog\admin\Pages\Settings.aspx.cs    Line: 152
Apr 22, 2009 at 9:12 PM
Totally off topic, and perhaps unnecessary, how much are you paying for hosting at DiscountASP?  Are you able to establish multiple blogs under a single account?

I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm honestly curious because I might need a new host.

Apr 22, 2009 at 9:38 PM
I have one of my BE installations at DiscountASP.NET.  It's $10/month for an account there.  They allow you to create multiple application starting points.  So you can have multiple applications -- one for each BE installation.

If you want to use a SQL database at DiscountASP.NET, it's another $10/month -- so $20 total.  But, if you use the default XML storage option with BE, then you don't need to purchase the DB option.

They've been a reliable host in the 6 months I've been with them.
Apr 23, 2009 at 8:47 AM
I also have a BE installation @ DiscountASP.NET, and this one is recent. I can conform that there was no need to alter any security settings on the App_Data folder of the site. I also concluded that the ASPNet account is given write access upon creation of the site.