Can't login in admin panel

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls, Themes
Jan 7, 2014 at 1:11 PM
Hello,

Last week I've downloaded the BlogEngine source, little bit modified the style and runned it. It worked perfect! After that I published to the local network IIS, so my coworkers can rate the blog to. It also worked perfect.

And then I released to the live website, but when I tried to login in the admin panel. It simply doesn't work, the website don't redirect me to the admin page and don't tell me my password / username combination is wrong.

Can someone help me?

Greetings!
Coordinator
Jan 7, 2014 at 3:03 PM
Probably your live site not set to full trust. Try to add this in web.config:
<trust level="Full"/>
Jan 7, 2014 at 3:19 PM
I installed a fresh installation and add that to the web.config, but it don't work. Other options?
Jan 7, 2014 at 8:10 PM
I have the same Problem.
But I have not done any modifications to the source, I just made an update from Version 2.5 to 2.9

Actually I have no idea what to do.

I am running Windows Server 2012 R2
Coordinator
Jan 7, 2014 at 8:37 PM
If this is a public website, click my name in this message and then "contact". Send me user/pwd I can use to log into this site and I"ll check why it is not working. There are infinite number of reasons for any application "not work", even fresh install due to differences in environment where it is running. You have to do at least basic troubleshooting - check error log, script errors with FireBug etc. And if it is not clean install, tell what changed - more details you give easier it is to figure out what is wrong.
Coordinator
Jan 8, 2014 at 3:09 PM
This seems have nothing to do with login, your site displays "unexpected error" on front page with no server-side data loaded, no posts no nothing. Could be as simple as your server does not have .net 4.5 installed or uses wrong application pull (for .net 2.0 for example). First thing you need is to turn off custom errors so it will display server-side error on the page. That might give some details on what is going on.
In web.config, change custom errors mode:
<system.web>
   <customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
Jan 8, 2014 at 3:15 PM
I have been busy the whole day, so it’s obvious that on some parts of the day that we’re errors. I managed to get in the admin, not with password/username but a specific IP address.
Coordinator
Jan 8, 2014 at 3:57 PM
Maikell wrote:
I managed to get in the admin, not with password/username but a specific IP address.
If your server is in the web farm (otherwise IP address doesn't make sense) than you can run into all kind of issues. Web farm is not supported, it would require some kind of service bus to sync across servers.
Jan 9, 2014 at 3:05 PM
Edited Jan 9, 2014 at 3:06 PM
If you don't see your dashboard after logging in on live web site. Try installing the razor nuget and deploying the app with that package. That helped me to fix my issue.

fyi: i did the update from 2.5 to 2.9

Everything works perfect except SyntaxHighlighter :(
Jan 9, 2014 at 3:34 PM
What do you mean with Razor nuget? Do you mean the packet Microsoft ASP.NET Razor? That packet is already installed.
Jan 9, 2014 at 7:13 PM
Yes.
Jan 10, 2014 at 4:43 PM
Okay guys, I got one step further.
My first fault was in web.config I gorgot at one place to replace XmlProvider by DbProvider.
But now I am stuck at the same place. I can Login, but then I get redirected to main page instead of Dashboard and I seem to be logged out. Will try that Razor Thing on the week-end
Jan 14, 2014 at 8:43 AM
Added the Razor packet, but it didn't work. Any tips, tricks?
Jan 16, 2014 at 8:04 AM
Please?
Coordinator
Jan 17, 2014 at 2:04 AM
The key issue on your site is as soon as you log in, you loose any permissions. So for anonymous user all works fine, but after you authenticated it just kicks you back to login page no matter what you do. Even if you request single JavaScript using "yoursite/Account/account.js" - it returns login page instead because you have literally no access to anything. I imagine you didn't make any changes to install and admin user have all rights it should and no changes to web.config so user/role providers point to standard location. Could be some odd permissions on web directory that allows anonymous access only.

So your login is working, you get a cookie assigned with proper value set. But no rights for authenticated user. Can be directory configured in IIS to use windows authentication instead of forms, for example.

As sanity check, you can try to deploy stock asp.net app from visual studio default project with forms authentication (internet application) and see if this will work. If not, clearly permissions/configuration problem you need an admin with server access to work on.
Jan 21, 2014 at 8:19 AM
I tried to deploy a stock ASP.net app with forms authentication. In VS2012 is it called ASP.NET Web Froms Application. It all works great, register and login.. our system admin is already on this but he also can't find a reason why BlogEngine works on local and not on the live website.