Skin File

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Themes
Mar 3, 2009 at 1:29 PM
Hi I need my blogengine them to pick up a skn file so that some menu functionality works on my website.  I have tried copying my slkin file to the theme folder but is doesnt get picked up.  Is there a reason for this or a way around it that I can use?

i note that in all the skin examples none use a skin file... is there a reason for that??

I have tried searching this forum but at preset the seach function on codeplex seems to be returning an error!!??!!

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:34 PM
I haven't tried using a skin file with BE.  Maybe the skin file is being picked up, but then the CSS styles are overriding that?  Not sure exactly, since I've honestly not used a skin file before.

In which skin examples are a skin file not being used?

Probably all the themes in BE use a CSS styles file, typically named style.css to control the look of controls and layout.

Getting an error while searching CodePlex??  That's not too surprising ... I get errors everyday on CodePlex.
Mar 3, 2009 at 3:52 PM
hi thanks BenAmada,

I need to find a way to get a skin file recognized.. Im used to using the App_Themes folder to store themes but note blog engine takes a different approach in using a 'theme' folder.  The problem i have is that i need to use a complicated menu from my main website withn which i am embedding blog engine as a news section.

This menu needs a skin file to setup a load of button properties.

anyone with any ideas how I can get that working.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:17 PM
So I got a skin file to work.  I created a folder under App_Themes called "Theme1" and put my skin file in there.  The skin file name is and the contents is:

<asp:TextBox runat="server"
  BackColor="Red" />
Then in the web.config file, I added styleSheetTheme="Theme1" to the <pages> element so it looked like:

<pages enableSessionState="false" enableViewStateMac="true" enableEventValidation="true" styleSheetTheme="Theme1">

And that was it.  Now all textboxes like on the Contact page or when leaving a comment for a blog post have red backgrounds.

I found information on skins here which linked to here and here.
Mar 3, 2009 at 6:21 PM
Nice one BenAmada,

works a treat.. I new there was a simple answer!