Tags not working with Windows Live Writer (WLW)

Mar 11, 2009 at 8:44 AM
Edited Mar 11, 2009 at 8:44 AM

I've been using WLW to write some posts but it doesn't seem to support tags. The Tag button is there on my toolbar, and when I click it I get a drop down dialog that lists all tags. I then click on tag in an effort to select it for the post, tag and the dialog which is just a small browser then links through to my blog site, actually to the tag page. I want to select tags for the post not do whatever it thinks it is doing. Seems rather fundamental to posting on a blog, adding tags to your posts.

Anyone got this working?

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:12 PM
Edited Mar 11, 2009 at 1:13 PM
Hi Darren,

The tag button on the is just a reference of the tags you have used on your site.  In WLW, there is no way for a provider to link this type of dropdown with data for your post.  (I know that is odd, but, it is disconnected as of the latest version of WLW.)  You can however enter the tags you'd like to use in the keywords field and they will be added to your post.

In 1.5 (and in and beyond if you are running a dev build), you can take advantage of the tag completion which gets you closer to what you are looking for.  http://www.nyveldt.com/blog/post/Live-Writer-Tagging-Feature-in-BlogEngineNET.aspx
Mar 17, 2009 at 6:17 PM
Edited Mar 17, 2009 at 6:17 PM
Thanks for your fast response, and excuse my slow reply.

Hmm… OK, so WLW is a masterful piece of UI design. It seems that keywords was probably what I wanted all along, but obviously I was looking for the term tags and got hung up on the tags viewer.

Moving swiftly on though the new Tags feature is spot on, and with a quick tweak to the wlwmanifest.xml file it works a treat.

For anyone else wanting to get this working, I’m on the on the current release of Blogengine 1.4.5 just edit the file called wlwmanifest.xml found in the root of your site. Open that file and add the line <supportsGetTags>Yes</supportsGetTags> next to the other supports tags.