How to use a standalone TextBox Widget

Topics: Controls
Mar 21, 2009 at 5:24 PM
Edited Mar 21, 2009 at 5:44 PM
Within the introduction of the widget (dunno remember from wich version), started to be a real powerfull platform. Despite this, sometimes may be useful show a widget outside the main Widget area.

I run across old backup copies of my blog to see how the Section was called before the Widget introduction and I noticed syntax like <blog:RecentComments ... and so on.

I'd like to use that for the new TextBox widget or the AboutMe Widget which this guy deployed. Anyone deployed the missing class to allow the widget to be called externally like the other widget?

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:28 AM
A good number of the widgets are just wrappers around controls -- like the RecentComments control.  These controls are in the App_Code controls folder.  These controls can be added directly in your blog outside of the widget zone.

Other controls, like the TextBox widget cannot easily work without being in a widget zone.  The main reason is because widgets like TextBox, AboutMe, Newsletter, etc have settings to be configured and saved.  The main setting for the TextBox widget is the content the TextBox widget displays.  Widgets within the widget zone can be 'Edited' with the widget framework's editor.  It's easy for a widget to retrieve and save settings within the widget framework.  Controls like RecentComments and others don't have anything to be configured (in some cases the configuration options are in the control panel).

Probably the best chance of being able to move widgets anywhere within your blog would be if and when BE support multiple widgetzones.  There's even this item in the Issue Tracker that is getting a number of votes.  If multiple widgetzones were possible, then you could place each widgetzone anywhere in your blog.  You could even have just one widget in each zone.  I believe this would accomplish what you're looking for.
Mar 22, 2009 at 8:50 AM
Definitely implementing a multi widget support will solve the problem. Meanwhile it would be useful have a "read-only" class that allow specify in line param to get access to the content needed.

I voted (I think) for the multi-widget zone, and I really hope authors will implement it sooner.