Adding A Subscribe Form

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Mar 27, 2009 at 2:43 AM
Sorry if this has bee nasked and answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything ... I was wanting to add a simple subscribe form to my blog, ideally in the sidebar. I've got asp page set to handle it in another part of my website, but I can't work out how to add a form to the blog? 

I tried adding the html to a text box in hte sidebar widget, but as soon as I save it all the form code is stripped out?

So I tried adding it to a new 'page', but the same thing happened?

Should this be possible to do, or am I missing something?

Has anyone else done it? Or is there maybe a widget or extension out there that I could adapt ?

Any assistance will be much appreciated!

Matt
Coordinator
Mar 27, 2009 at 2:48 AM
There's the Newsletter widget you could use.  It allows people to enter their email address.  Whenever you post a new blog entry, everyone who has subscribed via this widget is sent an email notifying them of the new blog post.  Or, like you suggested, you could make a copy of the Newsletter widget and customize it for your needs.
Mar 27, 2009 at 3:03 AM
Thanks Ben, I had a look at that but I can't see too many people opting in for an unknown quantity of email? Seems that could genenrate dozens of emails a day on some blogs and the thought of that would put most people off.

I did have a look at changing it, but I honestly wouldn't know where to start ... afraid I'm strictly 'classic' until now and just looking for an easy option to get functional until I get up to speed on the .net stuff. Probably have to settle for a link to another .asp page for now.

... Unless someone wants to make an opt-in form widget/extension????

Cheers

Aug 15, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I know this is an old post, and not sure if an opt-in form widget has been developed, but here's a quick fix.

http://blogengine.codeplex.com/discussions/269131

Hope this helps someone.