Remove default installation "Blog feeds"

Apr 12, 2009 at 11:39 PM
I want to remove the default blogs that come with installation see:

RSS feed Mads Kristensen  Full featured simplicity in ASP.NET and C#  (contact) Delete
RSS feed Al Nyveldt  Adventures in Code and Other Stories  (contact) Delete
RSS feed Ruslan Tur  .NET and Open Source: better together  (contact) Delete
RSS feed John Dyer  Technology and web development in ASP.NET, Flash, and JavaScript  (contact) Delete
RSS feed Russell van der Walt  an adventure in web technologies  (contact) Delete
RSS feed Ben Amada  adventures in application development  (contact)

When I click delete i get the error page that says:
( )

Ooops! I can't find the page you're looking for

This one's down to me! Please accept my apologies for this - I'll see to it that the developer responsible for this broken link is given 20 lashes (but only after he or she has fixed this problem).

the only thing i have done different is : I switched to SQL Server as a data store.

Apr 13, 2009 at 12:37 AM
If you have URLScan installed on your web server, this could cause the 404 error when you try to delete an item from the blogroll.  This happened to another person in this discussion.

It's also possible an internal server 500 error is occurring, but BE is configured to redirect you to the error404.aspx page when an unhandled error happens.  This is controlled in the Web.config file by the <customErrors> tag.  The default <customErrors> tag looks like ...

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="~/error404.aspx">

Changing it to the following would show any unhandled errors without the generic redirect to error404.aspx.

<customErrors mode="Off">
Apr 13, 2009 at 1:27 AM
Thanks for the reply.

1. I dont have urlscan installed - i checked in isapi dll - its not there
I am able to delete the posts but not the ...

2. If i set the error to off, i get:

�`I�%&/m�{J�J��t��`$ؐ@�����iG#)�*��eVe]f@�흼 ��{���{��;�N'���?\fdl��J�ɞ!���?~|?"��Ey�')=��y6����h����z��<=��~|W>�Z5�u�A:�f��/>����y�(��G�d^ϲe��!z���Ѳ�Y)5��G��A�8�VeU?������/I=�����Yd�E��n�գt����/�q��IU�n �ۻ�/No������N�|� �&�} �0��e�uU��?_O�Y��T˦*s�3�0_�/��ۼV��@ʄJ��TH�����Y>��-��tY-����e^7�U��ŋ:�[�`�� +�'U�V�G����]�ݻU��e��F�v{^/gy]�{�#���.���u��su�S��]���Uq�?��' 賏��E�d�� B���w�^�5�[�*-���w�������jUS�x�x^�WŬ��������v�Ϛ����%X�^�{G��+���ޣw ��[�Jz�M��>:�����Ω��������~�^/_g�f�U~�.�z�6����<��wr�>͛i]�d� ߝ/�̍2�ɭ�Dv0>}���a��7�;C�M� M����m[,/�̚�(��(1�%^�Y�fE٤�9����&������E~EH��j��:�:� ����������8=#l�u9��ꊺ"BLr�����hMZ��K��a��4+up�"�Ή�]�Ѵ��#�|*#y *�o�4_2��I�hV�8/�:�E�4�5� ��&a%C5�4�tU�(��4X�<kaij�)�|��‹�0m� /><���Ņ��k��(e�-Q�j�Nj�YQ�Ӷ�����&��d�h`��4sL ,�yv��E�(j�j�+RY���d݂�Z�C>���\~��e�y�h�����N����R���?� m�)a{�8�q�x����D��h*? a����۠�iP^��d|�\7m�m���;��)h�Y�8wCXw����^��b,���d�1ߍ�>풏>�4D�#*0/����x�%2��@\W�4�� ,��l ��Y/�,�;�}L�)ί�xV�3�ϳuپʅ�{,��@0t(;`ob�UU,�gc(}���x�ϻ�X�}�,�u6:s������O��%~'�&߃�$�.���
Apr 13, 2009 at 2:04 AM
Even though you're using SQL Server as the data store, there are still pieces of data that are stored in the App_Data folder rather than the DB.  The blogroll is one of these pieces of data.  The blogroll data is stored in the blogroll.xml file in the App_Data folder.

I would check is to make sure you have "Write" permissions setup for the ASPNET account for the App_Data folder.  If your site is hosted somewhere, they usually have a way to set file/folder permissions in a control panel.  If you have control over the web server, you would want to make sure the ASPNET account (or often the Network Service account on Windows Server operating systems) has "Write" permissions for the App_Data folder.
Sep 10, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Not sure if you've solved this issue. I encountered the same thing, and fixed by assign "Delete" permission to "Network service" account to post folder, while I was trying to delete one post. I guess you may need to assign "delete" permission to the right folder as well.

Good luck,