Fresh Installation - 404 Errors

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:43 AM
Edited Apr 16, 2009 at 4:56 AM
I just downloaded a fresh copy of BlogEngine.NET (v 1.5.0.7), created the MS SQL database, modified the web.config for it, and uploaded all of the code to my server via FTP.  I then modified the directory/file permissions.  From there I logged in as admin, created a new account as admin, then logged in with it and deleted the default admin account.  I then went to the settings tab and set all those options.

Though, I'm now having a problem with the Add Entry, Profile, & Users tabs.  Anytime I click on one of those tabs I get a 404 "Oops, I can't find the page your looking for" error from BlogEngine.NET.  I checked the actual directory and sure enough they are all there.  Every other tab seems to work just fine.

Can someone tell me why these tabs are giving me 404 errors and how I can go about fixing it?  Thanks!

- Joshua
Coordinator
Apr 16, 2009 at 7:13 AM
You're probably being redirected to the error404.aspx page because an unhandled error is occurring.  In your web.config file, there is a <customErrors> tag.  If you change it (temporarily) to the following, then you should see the actual error instead of being redirected to error404.aspx.

<customErrors mode="Off">
Apr 16, 2009 at 12:41 PM
Ben:

I changed the customErrors section as you instructed and went back to the page. Now I'm getting some crazy stuff on the page as follows:

�`I�%&/m�{J�J��t��`$ؐ@�����iG#)�*��eVe]f@�흼��{���{��;�N'���?\fdl��J�ɞ!���?~|?"��Ey�')=��y6����h������ Ey�裟��Y��>:�O���b�>ZV�"+壦�A�(?��Ӫ��G�2��=�%�w�@} ���(��m�z�n�_��%>���9��٭!~{7����0{��=X��I��������oA�U� ���3���i1�ғj�Te��uf� ��1|�� @H�P�� ���]�=˧U�����j��.���_�/^��u�"���R�O�����ݝջN�w�l9�& amp;%�,��^��,���G��y�]^��뺡?��Ч��>�?��r�2�O.�g]͋6��~kA4����o���k wz�##Q������jUS�v�x^�WŬ��������v�Ϛ��w��%8��{G���gM�#�|�:��i��l���q]d�(�vNض4�Q�y��/�����u�l�_��2�Gi����.���&G�Ӽ���JX������2]/1E% K�n��wi5�ك���5�o�9}�O���9�Mͫ|���/Z�M;N_�y����e�_q��%NۚCS���$�X�C�\6�֭t��HؤW��ڴ� b֬%\���m5�����D��c�>��z��YQ62��� M��X/h�գ�gi҇Q|]�k�s�#�6<����ci++?~N�t���������o�:߁���̡ ��h�6� �yV�y�Dyh��,K#m����JW�UQ�t�����&4}S����t%�t^�euE�r�v��ܭ�U ��|��W��?2���dzY��������)z�׹�MsX�4��y���d�L/�c����x*[��+�{�l��3}�]���ly��_>�>O~\�d����^��(�Aݻ�Ca̘"�&g$�U0����Z� �sMS�fN%Z��2x�t�Ŏ�y!i��p�_� 3/�͢ÿ{ w�8���a0�U���|J�H���t�,�iH�ʒ8uM���o ZCRc��xc�����<̌S�c=�402��&U���� ���bU�m�$��z�d �Pk·�Y��)f?]�u�����d�"��;N�j ]��t��%a]�J�,�*/�Gi\���y���*��>[���n}9�i�.}�_�R�}y���|�>�ȡ��;�'���=ܻ0i�TJpvw}��'���i�E{=�"_Lȭ���7�A�_�$a5��=dpO���tI��Vu>~YW������Ľi>���e @��ٲ��G2z�����n��^���B���$�mV��{�꫶(�'�� rI���g�%� ��5��%m����om�����n�����O�2� �HT|w�_OH�n���3��e[W���%!|�a�� �viHW{� [���i�4��[�"+�[��IO��YN��"o��>;n��ӗ�2��A���6�]+��ӽ�q��.���@���D��Oj�x��qV�bs�(�u�T�m:~q�&}Vg��ߦ�ڣ�����΃��{;����/�e��^�w���.��#�P�2����4� ����!E,�oRG� �F�؁�a�����W��Z4�)���҉��,hč�|�B��ި7��Q���? mHR��]}eC_t]@�`�z��{�_�8�"Yo�5�� Ò��Hz��3D�%n���Q��o�]��^T� �@L��҃�<���6� #"��j��� ��?kV��J��� �R��$�^��j�ᝳ��������m�`8�a'�r�X�jxM�H����MyM}lo�-|�0V�d�N�@�O| ����l�\�Oc� ����ը8=���0���[�A}�0���J�h5c~�ї��q�>�t7�� /,�=���X�Ϳ�XY�Ҹ�`2_^D��x{���

What do we do now?

- Joshua

On 16 Apr 09 1:14 AM, at 16 Apr 09 1:14 AM, BenAmada wrote:

You're probably being redirected to the error404.aspx page because an unhandled error is occurring. In your web.config file, there is a <customErrors> tag. If you change it (temporarily) to the following, then you should see the actual error instead of being redirected to error404.aspx.

<customErrors mode="Off">

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (blogengine@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email blogengine@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Apr 16, 2009 at 7:43 PM
That doesn't help much :)  The next step then is to add the code below into your Global.asax file in the root of your blog.  It can go right after the <script RunAt="server"> tag.  This should display the error message.  There'll probably be a bunch of text, and not formatted great for viewing purposes, but will report the error, nonetheless.

void Application_Error(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
    HttpContext context = ((HttpApplication)sender).Context;
    if (context.Error != null)
    {
        Exception ex = context.Error;
        string msg = string.Empty;

while (ex != null)
        {
            if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(ex.Message))
                msg += ex.ToString() + "<br /><br />";
            ex = ex.InnerException;
        }
        context.Response.Clear();
        context.Response.Write(msg);
        context.Response.End();
    }        
}
Apr 16, 2009 at 8:05 PM
Ben:

I appreciate the follow-up. While waiting for your reply I found that permissions weren't set properly on the App_Bin directory with my hosting provider (evidently it wouldn't let me do it in my FTP client even though it looked like it was working). I went to my hosting providers admin software and set the permissions via their file/directory tool and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Thanks everyone for their help.

- Joshua

On 16 Apr 09 1:43 PM, at 16 Apr 09 1:43 PM, BenAmada wrote:

That doesn't help much :) The next step then is to add the code below into your Global.asax file in the root of your blog. It can go right after the <script RunAt="server"> tag. This should display the error message. There'll probably be a bunch of text, and not formatted great for viewing purposes, but will report the error, nonetheless.

void Application_Error(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
HttpContext context = ((HttpApplication)sender).Context;
if (context.Error != null)
{
Exception ex = context.Error;
string msg = string.Empty;

while (ex != null)
{
if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(ex.Message))
msg += ex.ToString() + "

";
ex = ex.InnerException;
}
context.Response.Clear();
context.Response.Write(msg);
context.Response.End();
}
}

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (blogengine@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email blogengine@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:55 PM
I am experiencing strange errors as well.  I set the permissions for the App_Data folder and gave the machine's ASPNET account (MACHINENAME\ASPNET) write permissions to the folder.  I can log in as admin but I cannot change my password or create new users.  I'm assuming it is a permissions issue as well, I just don't know what to change.
Apr 22, 2009 at 4:59 PM
Randy:

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through what I did. If you are using a web hosting company like me make sure that you are using THEIR utilities to change permissions on all of your folders and not your FTP client. By using their utilities it fixed my problem.

Are you doing this on a hosting company's machine or your own local Windows Server box?

- Joshua

On 22 Apr 09 10:55 AM, at 22 Apr 09 10:55 AM, RandyHJ wrote:

I am experiencing strange errors as well. I set the permissions for the App_Data folder and gave the machine's ASPNET account (MACHINENAME\ASPNET) write permissions to the folder. I can log in as admin but I cannot change my password or create new users. I'm assuming it is a permissions issue as well, I just don't know what to change.