referrer tracking

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Apr 25, 2009 at 3:03 AM
Hi All,

At the risk of sounding out of the mainstream, what exactly does the referrer tracking do?  I've searched the site and can't find what it does exactly.  Can anyone help?

Steven
Coordinator
Apr 25, 2009 at 6:15 AM
I haven't personally used it, but here's the documentation page on it:

http://blogengine.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Referrers
Apr 25, 2009 at 12:47 PM
as the documentations suggests, it keeps track of origin URLs of the 7 days. If you type the URL directly into the IE address bar you will not see anything. If your site comes up on a search result of Google and the user clicks the URL there, then you will see google.com as a referrer. Same goes for every visit you have originating from a another source.
Apr 25, 2009 at 12:56 PM
hey guys,

Thanks for your prompt replies.  I guess I pulled a typical user and didn't look for the information closely enough.  Apparently the wiki search isn't all that great here as it didn't guess what I meant when I put in the wrong keywords.

Steven
Apr 28, 2009 at 12:28 AM
Edited May 3, 2009 at 4:03 AM
Hi All!

I'm on 1.4.5. and using Girlgeek theme. I googled for a keyword and my web site showed up. So I click on the link and it took me to my web site. But I still don't see the data in Referrer Page change. I have turned on both Send and Receive for Trackback and I have enabled the Referrer Tracking. The data I am seeing is the original data that ships with the install set (Monday data). No data for the other six days.

What else am I missing?

Thanks!

Coordinator
Apr 28, 2009 at 2:35 AM
I just tested out the referrer tracking.  It worked for me, but I did see why it's probably not working for the scenario you described.

If you look at the code in ReferrerModule.cs (under Web\HttpModules in the BE core), it's setup to not log traffic if the referrer is a search engine.  When clicking on a link to your site from a Google search, that is considerered a search engine referrer -- so it isn't logged.

You could change that if you wanted.  But it looks like the intention for referral tracking is to track actual sites that are referring people to you.

Receiving trackbacks is completely different from referrer tracking, by the way.  When a trackback comes in, there won't be an associated referrer since it's the web server that is sending a trackback to your blog ... the web server isn't clicking a link to get to your blog.  It also isn't being 302 redirected to your site when sending you a trackback (302 redirects usually include referrer information).  So there typically won't be a referrer tied to the incoming trackback.
Jun 22, 2010 at 8:33 AM
Edited Jun 22, 2010 at 8:34 AM

i am using version 1.6 and have enable Referrer.. In this version the option is provided "Number of days to keep" but i dont see anything in the "Select  day" dropdown. it does not get bind..

can anyone help me with this issue.

thanks

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:45 AM

@dusaneinfotech - The "select day" dropdown will only be available if you have referrer data. No referrer data = no drop down, Could that be you case?

Also in the future it would be better to start a new thread for your issue.