GoDaddy Email & BlogEngine

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:15 PM
Edited Apr 28, 2009 at 3:15 PM
Has anyone noticed sketchy email service out of GoDaddy with BlogEngine.  I don't seem to get all my emails from BE through them, for whatever reason.

Example, one comment email that was sent to me revealed that 3 other people had commented prior, yet I didn't have emails for those comments.

Anyone else noticing the same thing?  I'm about to contact them regarding this, and wanted to see if there is a larger issue at hand.  Perhaps it's just me, but I would like to think it isn't just me....for reasons I won't get into.  hahaha

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:31 PM
I have the same problem sometimes. Contact emails are always ok, but comment emails, sometimes are ok, sometimes are not.
Apr 28, 2009 at 6:50 PM
For emails that are sent to you when a comment is left, there's a change I would recommend making.  In the SendCommentMail.cs file in the App_Code\Extensions folder, there's this line of code:

mail.From = new MailAddress(from, HttpUtility.HtmlDecode(comment.Author));

Change that to:

mail.From = new MailAddress(BlogSettings.Instance.Email);

The original code is trying to send the email with the commenter's email address in the "From" field.  The modified version will use your own email address in the "From" field (the email address you have defined in the mail settings section in the control panel).  Mail servers often don't like it when you are sending email with a From address that is not an address managed by that mail server.
Apr 29, 2009 at 1:32 AM
Arg, you're right I think.  I remember reading about this somewhere around here.

Any word on getting this into the core?

Thanks much for the insight!

Apr 29, 2009 at 2:08 AM
Wayne: Yes, changing this in BE is on my soon to do list.  I plan on making the same type of change in other places where email is sent out too.
Apr 29, 2009 at 3:19 PM
Awesome, thanks for doing so.  I just hope that with all the projects I've managed to pile on myself that I can remember this next time it happens.  lol

You rock Ben, thanks!
Jun 21, 2009 at 9:32 PM
Edited Jun 21, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Yep that is the ticket! I found the issue when I implemented Yet Another Forum. GD only likes the FROM the owner of the site.

MTR Investors Group