Blog Not working on Mobile Devices

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Themes
Jun 16, 2014 at 8:22 AM
Hi

Blog works fine now on pcs.

However doesn't work on any smartphone.

Check here http://tinyurl.com/nlaslhq click on the blog link in nav top right or orange square image bottom side left.

Any ideas please?

Thanks Alicia
Jun 16, 2014 at 5:53 PM
Edited Jun 16, 2014 at 5:54 PM
I'm not sure if it also goes for new installations, but my upgrade was set to use the "Mobile" theme for mobile devices. However, that theme is no longer included with 2.9.1 and didn't copy it over from the older installation either.

If it's set to a theme that doesn't exist (such as Mobile), it will fail. I've since then copied back the 2.8 Mobile theme which seems to work okay, but I haven't done any extensive checking yet.

If your admin pages work go to Settings. It should have both the normal and the mobile theme on the left on the Basic subpage.
If the admin pages don't work, you probably have a different problem from this, but you can still check Settings.xml in App_Data (or be_Settings table if you use SQL Server) for:
<mobiletheme>NameOfThemeHere</mobiletheme>
On a sidenote:
In order to quickly fix my problem once I found it, I also tried to tinker with the Web.config which contains a RegEx for mobile device detection:
<add key="BlogEngine.MobileDevices" value="(iemobile|iphone|ipod|android|nokia|sonyericsson|blackberry|samsung|sec\-|windows ce|motorola|mot\-|up.b|midp\-)" />
I tried to change it so it wouldn't match any client in existence, which had no effect. The value seemed not to be used, but removing the key altogether makes the blog crash pretty badly. Not sure what's going on there, but I suggest you check the mobiletheme setting :)
Jun 17, 2014 at 8:59 AM
Hi Thorarin

Admin pages do work and I could see both the normal(boldly) and the mobile theme.

There was another mobile them available (2.5.0.0) which I selected.

Now on a smartphone instead of getting the blog application error I see just a completely blank screen with no error messages.

What to do now!?

Many Thanks Alicia
Jun 17, 2014 at 5:12 PM
Hmm, hard to say... without an error message to go by, it's even more of a needle in a haystack.
Have you checked the log file for hints? App_Data\logger.txt

In my experience, most problems don't end up in the log file, but you never know :)