On Free hosting

May 1, 2009 at 5:58 PM
Hi guys
first off all i want to thank all those who have contributed to make this project possible
blogengine is a great application, I'm new on the development, i've tried to install blogengine
on my free account from, using xml, and althought i had configured the app_data to have read and write permission,
I'm still getting an error and my not able to figure out the pb, as there is no log file or something that i can trace.
I know that with this free account from brinkster, they only allowed to use an ms acces db
but i think using xml should work with.
does anyone of you tried to install this application on brinkster server

here is what i'm getting

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<customErrors mode="Off"/>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>

thank you

May 1, 2009 at 6:01 PM
Turn customErrors to Off and see what the error message actually is. That requires editing your web.config as explained in the message above.
May 1, 2009 at 6:08 PM
thank you proffitt
it worked :)

May 1, 2009 at 6:10 PM
I'm getting

An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 7:  	</configSections>
Line 8:  	<BlogEngine>
Line 9:  		<blogProvider defaultProvider="XmlBlogProvider">
Line 10: 			<providers>
Line 11: 				<add name="XmlBlogProvider" type="BlogEngine.Core.Providers.XmlBlogProvider, BlogEngine.Core"/>

May 1, 2009 at 6:46 PM
It sounds like you have BE installed in a subfolder.  If so, that folder needs to be marked as an 'application' or 'application starting point' in IIS.  Often times web hosters have a way for you to do this through their control panel or by submitting a request to their support department.
May 1, 2009 at 6:53 PM
it says on my website's control panel
that the absolute root path is : c:\sites\content\m\a\h\sitefolder
I'll send an email to brinkster's administrator and hopefully he'll make the change for me
because, I don't have too much control with this free account
thank you BenAmada

May 8, 2009 at 5:43 PM

This is what the Brinkster's support agent replied:

Thank you for contacting Brinkster support. Free accounts do not support global, config or code behind files. They also do not have a application root or virtual directory. The .net 2.0 framework is being supported but your application is asking something of the server that is not supported. All code needs to be inline.

so unfortunately for those who are trying to install on a free host, brinkster is not a good choice

Jan 24, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Send me an email at dm at bloggersonline . com and I will host you for free.

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:30 AM

Just left brinkster. They don't do 4.0 anyway.