Imported themes don't show in drop down in blog settings

Topics: Themes
Jul 11, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Hi everyone :-)

With the help of kbdavis07 (thank you!) I was able to get BE 3.0 installed and running in WebMatrix, since I am not ready to upgrade to VS 2013. However, I'm trying to install some new themes and I followed the instructions for downloading and installing the new themes from but when I went to install the theme I wanted, first there was no "Themes" folder in the version of BE that I installed (???kbdavis???) second even after I created the folder for "Themes" in the BE and unzipped the themes I wanted to try into the folder, they do NOT show up in the drop-down menu of the Blog. I went to the Settings tab in the blog and under the basic view tried to select the new themes that I installed, but the only themes that show up in the drop-down menu are those that came installed with BE. How do I get the new themes o show up in the DD menu?
Jul 11, 2014 at 1:53 PM
Well with a little more searching I found where the themes are located in the new BE. Question - is there a reason why all the themes are under the "Custom" folder instead of in a main "theme" folder in the root? I know I can now move all the themes that I downloaded to the Custom/Themes directory, but why are they in a separate "Custom" directory in the fist place? Wouldn't it make more sense to have ALL themes in one main directory? I really don't want to get into coding to change where the BE is pointing to change where the drop-down looks for themes, but this doesn't make sense to me. Sorry.
Jul 11, 2014 at 2:07 PM
Hi Coleenh,

All areas that are bound to get change by the user is located in the /Custom folder this way when you make changes to BE and want to upgrade all you do is copy your /Custom folder in drop it in the next BE version.

Also going from Web Project to Web Application requires more permissions than just the standard /app_data folder.

Reason why this was done is at this discussion:

Are you installing your themes from gallery?

Or manually installing them?
Jul 11, 2014 at 2:22 PM
Thanks KB, I appreciate the answer and after reading through the posts on that thread, I now understand why the themes are in the Custom directory - makes sense when you put it into context - thank you!. I am installing them manually, because i don't want all of the themes, only a few to try them out, and to be able to "play" with the .css to edit it to suit my needs. Now that I have moved the themes to the Custom directory they show up in the drop down and it works to change the theme - thanks again, very much for your help and the explanation! :-)