Where are Project and Solution Files?

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls, Themes
Aug 2, 2014 at 2:22 AM
Edited Aug 2, 2014 at 4:22 AM
It was my understanding that the new 3.0 Web version was a Web Application Project:

http://dotnetblogengine.net/post/blogenginenet-30-is-here.aspx

I cannot locate the project or solution files. It opens when I choose File -> Open Web site. But this makes no sense...

Can someone explain this?

UPDATE

Since this is obviously a Web Site I have no idea how to create a virtual directory (with WAP I usually click Create Virtual Directory button in Web Project properties page) and keep getting:
It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.  C:\VS2013\HoneyMaven\setup\sqlserver\web.config 10  
Now there are two strange things going on. When I get a 404, the text on the error page says:
Requested URL      http://localhost:80/honeymaven/
Physical Path      C:\inetpub\wwwroot\honeymaven\
But my real physical path is (and I have confirmed this in IIS):
C:\VS2013\HoneyMaven
Secondly, I copied the Web.config file from the setup folder to my project; how come the setup folder is appearing in the error message.

Maybe I just went about the install all wrong. There used to be a video tutorial by one of the BE team members but I cannot recall the URL? If anyone can point me to this, or shed some light on the above, I'd be grateful :-)
Coordinator
Aug 2, 2014 at 4:31 AM
Edited Aug 2, 2014 at 4:32 AM
Working with source. It is for 2.9 but should make no difference.
Aug 2, 2014 at 4:50 AM
Hi rtur,

That's not the video - right now I'm not working with the source version, just the deployable version.

I just remembered, it was all Nyveldt and this was the video I was thinking of:

http://nyveldt.com/misc/beinstallation.html

Unfortunately it is no use now as it uses the old IIS

I have never used the Web Site template and have no idea how to create the virtual directory. Is there some guidance somewhere and why is this being referred to as a Web Application project when it obviously is not??
Aug 2, 2014 at 4:33 PM
Edited Aug 2, 2014 at 4:34 PM
Spent hours on this, even downloaded Web version again. Exact same result, same error message.

This is NOT a Web Application Project, it is a Web Site project, despite what was said here.

The only documentation I could find is inaccurate.

"For example, if you installed the web site to your local machine for testing, you would navigate to localhost/default.aspx."

"localhost" is reserved by IIS for the default IIS splash page so this is wrong for starters.

Despite my project path being "C:\VS2013\HoneyMaven" the error page is still showing path as "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\honeymaven\"

How can I configure path correctly to my project? I've already set it in IIS but this is being ignored. At first I thought my IIS was hosed, but it's bringing up other regular ASPNET sites just fine, including a 2.9 BE site.

It's obvious there is confusion here over both the project type and the available documentation. Can we get a definitive set of installation and IIS configuration steps for this release? I set up version 2.9 and experienced none of these difficulties.

Thanks in advance :-)
Coordinator
Aug 2, 2014 at 4:41 PM
Did you look at other videos on this channel? I think this one is what you looking for.
You confusing lots of things about website/web application, but they only matter when you work with source code. IIS does not know or care about project/solution files, they don't deploy. In VS, on the other hand, it matters a lot, and latest BE uses web application model.
So, don't need to know if you don't work with source. Just be aware that there is no app_code folder and .cs files, if manually deployed to the server, will be ignored.
Aug 9, 2014 at 12:44 AM
Hi rtur,

The point I was trying to make was that configuration of virtual directory differs between O/S's (Win 8.1 and Win 2012 for example). On top of this, the steps are different depending on the project type. In the video (thanks btw) he sets it up under the default site node and I have never seen it manually put there before, esp. when doing this for a WAP project. The video solved my problem as I would never have thought of doing it that way.

My understanding was that the core project (code) was always WAP and the the deployable site was always Web Site Project, so what has changed?

http://dotnetblogengine.net/post/blogenginenet-30-is-here.aspx
Coordinator
Aug 9, 2014 at 1:57 AM
Core always was and is class library.
BlogEngine.NET project used to be website, now web application.
What changed is that we used to deploy source code (.cs files). Now we deploy BlogEngine.NET.dll compiled from those .cs files.
Aug 9, 2014 at 3:17 AM
So if BlogEngine.NET 3.0 (web) is a Web Application Project like you say, where is the project file?
Coordinator
Aug 9, 2014 at 3:56 AM
In the source (BlogEngine.NET 3.0 (source)).