Roadmap for Blogengine

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Aug 12, 2014 at 8:03 PM
What is the roadmap for blogengine? I'm curious because I think there is a lot of potential with this application. For example wordpress is huge - no denying that. But ghost bust onto the scene next year and has a vibrant community and is expanding.

The folks here seem friendly bit what concerns me is the development seems to be done by one person mostly. If Rtur decides to stop working on the project or if life events take over as they often do who will pick up the slack? Is there a way to expand the community? HS anyone thought about GitHub hosting?
Aug 12, 2014 at 9:20 PM
Edited Aug 12, 2014 at 9:33 PM
I might win a lottery one day. Would be pretty big blow to roadmap :)

We do plan on number of improvements short term, mostly around usability, simplicity and probably collaboration/monetizing with 3rd party theme/extension builders.

Longer term, looking at vNext figuring out ways to land there smoothly. GitHub or not is not that critical, IMO.
Aug 14, 2014 at 6:22 AM
Hi Rtur,

What is the Roadmap to getting BE using MVC fully?

I had been using MVC lately for the last 6 months or so and going back to old style Web Forms is not fun :)

Once you go MVC you don't go back :)

Lots of useful features that MVC has especially when using themes.

Like having Full Visual Studio intelsense with Html helpers like

@Model.Title, @Model.Author and etc.

Instead of having to memorize all of the available "place holders" you just type in Visual Studio @Model. and it has a populated drop down menu.

Also URL control is much better with MVC, no more URL rewriting.

I see on the admin side the use of controllers and that is a step towards using MVC :)

But, what is the targeted time line to have BE 100% running on MVC?

Also wanted to say great job on BE 3.0!

Have a great day!

Brian Davis
Aug 14, 2014 at 2:54 PM
Edited Aug 14, 2014 at 6:23 PM
Rewrites are evil. You always underestimate how much work need to be done. Even if you know you going to underestimate, you will anyways. Always.
With that said, I am looking into ways to allow themes break loose from aspx view engine and routing may eventually replace our URL rewire module. Then it may be relatively easy to go MVC or MVVM or SPA or whatever new and cool tomorrow. Evolution, not revolution, I guess.