Ping problems?

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
May 13, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Dunno if it's a problem or if it's just my personal supposition, but I think doesn't send a new ping when a future post effectively became available to public users. Is this right?

Anyone has faced with the same impression?

May 13, 2009 at 8:24 PM

I believe you're correct.  The Ping Services, trackbacks and pingbacks are sent when you're saving the post and the post is not future dated.

This code/logic is in the SendPings.cs file in the App_Code\Extensions folder.  In BE, it checks to see if the post "IsPublished".  This code is slightly different in the latest build (  It checks to see if the post "IsVisibleToPublic" -- which is effectively the same thing ... future dated posts would not cause the various pings to be sent out.

May 13, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Thanks Ben for your quickly answer. I think it would be usefull a "request for ping" button into the ping configuration page or into every single post page.

Better than ever it would be manage a ping request once post became visibile in this future post condition, but I'm not able to figure out how to manage that.

Andrea Moro

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Måns Ågevik is undertaking the project of implementing pings for future-dated posts. See this thread: