Problems migrating from 2.7 to 3.0

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Sep 21, 2014 at 9:52 PM
Edited Sep 22, 2014 at 1:45 PM
We are trying to migrate a client from 2.7.0. to 3.0 and are having a couple issues. They are dropping their current custom look and feel in favor of an out-of-the-box theme, so we truly just need to migrate their data.

Here's the process we are following:
  1. Setup a clean install of 3.0 in a new directory. Verify that the new blog comes up and functions properly. Verify we can login to the back end as admin.
  2. Delete all files in the 3.0 App_Data folder except labels.txt.
  3. Copy all files from the 2.7 App_Data folder to the 3.0 App-Data folder
  4. Verify the 3.0 blog comes up
Here's where things fall apart. The front end of the blog functions fine. However, if we log in as admin and try to go to the Dashboard, we see the dashboard for a split second and then we are booted out to the log in screen.

If we go somewhere else in the admin tool (say Posts) we can get in, but the Custom menu is missing?! Interestingly, if I click Custom from the Administration widget on the front end, I can get to the section on the back end. It's just not on the menu across the top.

I've looked for a guide on migrating from 2.7 to 3.0, but haven't found anything that specific.

We are using the XML provider for our data store.

I have also checked the log file and there's nothing in there.

Any help is appreciated.

Sep 22, 2014 at 1:34 PM
I had a similar issue when I upgraded. What I found was I had to delete all of the previous contents of my App_Data folder and use the stock files in order to get the Admin panel to work. Then I manually copied over my Posts, Pages, and Files directories and then manually set up all of my widgets.

Hope that helps.
Sep 22, 2014 at 7:07 PM
Awesome, thank you!. This solved my problem.
Sep 23, 2014 at 3:00 PM
Glad it worked for you!