Why blogengine is offered as a website?

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
May 21, 2009 at 9:36 PM
Edited May 21, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Hello All,

I am new to blogengine.net. I downloaded the code and it turned out to be a website. I know the means of converting this into a webapplication.

Is there any reason , why cannot we have blogengine as a webapplication rather than a website? So it would be easier to integrate into our existing applications.

Are there are any future considerations to be given blogengine as a webapplication?

Thanks

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Also interesting - why BE is a website - not web application?

Coordinator
Feb 2, 2010 at 3:18 PM
Edited Feb 2, 2010 at 6:44 PM

BE started with a stress on simplicity, and web site template was simplest and most natural way to go in the days. It also provides compelling extensibility point to match those available in the scripting solutions - you can drop in source file and it will become part of the application without need to re-compile (dynamic compilation). Said that, we do realize that website model is getting in a way sometimes. For example, Azure does not support it etc. So, it is a tough choice. Next version will most certainly use .net 3.5 and move to web app also considered. If you one of those impacted - raise your voice.