Cannot Update BE Using Dashboard

Nov 21, 2014 at 3:49 PM
I just tried to update from 3.1.0.1 to 3.1.1.0 and I get the following error on Step #4

Failed to replace directory \Account; error: Access to the path 'account.css' is denied.

All permissions tests come back passed. Any clues that would help?
Coordinator
Nov 21, 2014 at 4:00 PM
If you doing it on the live site, it can be locked by requests.
Update doing several attempts to move file but if it keeps been locked it will give up eventually.
You can click "update" to start over again, did work for me few times.
Dec 5, 2014 at 12:38 AM
I have the same issue. Tried several times, no joy.

Check Permissions was error free.

I added Modify permissions to the \Account folder and restarted.

It moved past that then gave an error on "Access to the path 'admin.master' is denied".

I added Modify permissions to the \Admin folder and restarted.

It then gave an error "Access to the path 'TagMiniView.aspx' is denied."

I added Modify permissions to the \api folder and restarted.

It then gave an error "Failed to replace directory \api; error: Could not find a part of the path '\setup\upgrade\backup\be\api'."

I added Modify permissions to the \setup\upgrade\backup folder and restarted.

It gave the same error, so I deleted everything from the backup folder and restarted.

It just gets stuck at the same error: "Failed to replace directory \api; error: Could not find a part of the path '\setup\upgrade\backup\be\api"
Dec 5, 2014 at 12:39 AM
Also, I am attempting this on a Test site, not live.
Dec 5, 2014 at 1:15 AM
OK, tried something else, created the folder setup\upgrade\backup\be\api.

Now I get this error: "Failed to replace directory \editors; error: Access to the path 'bootstrap-wysiwyg.js' is denied."

I added Modify permissions to the \editors folder and restarted.

Then i got the error: "Failed to replace directory \editors; error: Could not find a part of the path '\setup\upgrade\backup\be\editors"

So I created the \setup\upgrade\backup\be\editors folder and restarted.

The I got the error: "Failed to replace directory \fonts; error: Access to the path 'fontawesome-webfont.eot' is denied"

At this point I added Modify permissions to the \root folder and restarted.

The next error is "Failed to replace directory \Modules; error: Could not find a part of the path '\setup\upgrade\backup\be\Modules"

I created the folder "\setup\upgrade\backup\be\Modules" and restarted.

Next error was "Failed to replace directory \pics; error: Could not find a part of the path '\setup\upgrade\backup\be\pics"

I created the folder "\setup\upgrade\backup\be\pics" and restarted.

The next error was: "Congratulations, your blog has been upgraded!" Oh wait, that is what I wanted! :)

So, I wanted to start over. My "Root" Folder had spaces in it, it was: "E:\BlogEngine.NET 3.1"

I copied the contents of the Zip file to E:\BlogEngine.NET3.1,
Added modify permissions for Network Service to E:\BlogEngine.NET3.1.
Copied all content from v2.9's App_Data to E:\BlogEngine.NET3.1\App_Data, with the exception of "labels.txt" and "rights.xml".
Added the application to the site and appropriate app pool.
Browsed to the test blog.
Logged in.
Opened the Dashboard and started the upgrade. No issues this time, upgraded first try.
May 20, 2015 at 5:44 AM
Edited May 20, 2015 at 5:55 AM
I had the same problem. I changed the permissions in IIS and everything worked fine.

In IIS, right click on your blog folder , then go to Edit Permissions > Security and give give full control to whatever user you are.

Basically, you should give permissions for the application to write.

I hope this helps someone.

thanks