BlogEngine.NET as Desktop application

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Feb 16, 2015 at 10:25 AM
I want to store lot of questions papers of school colleges according to class/Term and subject wise for my personnel reference purpose.(to make new question papers based on the my blog )
So that whenever , i have to make question paper, i will see from this database, and i do not wish to publish it on web as a website.
I know has a subcategory feature beside tags, so it will solve my purpose.

For testing reason, i installed blogengine on local compute via web matrix which store data as flat file,but i connect it on remote server via giving connection string in web config file.

so blogengine on local computer and backend db(mssql 2012) on remote server.
should i go with this configuration ??
i will publish lot of question papers/study material on this blog.expectedly may take 10 gb space of db near future.

Thanks in Advance.
Feb 17, 2015 at 1:47 AM
Hi Zealgeeks,

You want it 100% on local computer with none remote connections?

If so you should have Local Database instead of a remote mssql 2012.

For 10gb of data I would not use xml files at all, that is too much data for xml.

If you wish to keep it 100% "Offline" on a local computer I would use a Local SQL database.
Feb 17, 2015 at 9:20 AM
Hello Kbdavis07

1)Yes I want 50-100% on local computer.if mssql express will be on remote server, i have no problem.
2)i connected it with remote mssql 2012. as such locally it store on xml file.does it work for heavy data storage with web file on local compute and db on remote??(as such Blogengine does not support web farm)

Is there way to locally connect blogengine to mssql express(not mssql compact) via web matrix and how we can take backup of web and db locally.

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:05 PM
Hi ZealGeeks,

I would download the new Free Visual Studio 2013 Community if I were you :)

Way more tools than Web Matrix, and best of all just like Web Matrix it is free!

From there you just right click in solution explorer in app_data and click "add database".

Name it what ever you want it to be.

Then take the setup script for BE and click on new database --> New Query

Then just paste the script there and execute.

Database and connection string should be created for you.

Now you are using LocalDB on IIS.
Feb 17, 2015 at 4:00 PM
Thanks kbdavis07, i will try.