Multiple Widget Zones..

Topics: Controls
Jun 16, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Anyone tried having multiple widget zones?? since they all share the same datastore, they all end up looking the same.

Im working on a way to store the widget data under the ID of the WidgetZone. Therefore its possible to have multiple widgetzones all configured differently...

You may be wondering why i need this, well i wanted a way to show a single widget on a page (eg a link editor on a links.aspx).

Rather than creating a new control, i figures i could just host a single link editor widget on the page... not possible with standard code as all widgetzones share the same setting...

have i misses something or is my modification the only way to show widgets with different settings??

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Multiple widgetzone support was added to BE in changeset on April 18th.  The latest build can be downloaded on the Source Code tab above.

With the new multiple widgetzone capability, you can specify a "ZoneName" for each widget zone.  Each zone contains its own separate data.  Here's a blog post describing the new capability.

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:41 PM

That sounds exactly like what ive just implemented!! glad to see im not the only one needing this feature...

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:51 PM

I have tried to upgrade from BE to BE with, as I want to implement Multiple Widget Zones.  Perhaps I am doing something wrong.  The build says something like ‘BlogRollItem cannot be found in namespace Blogengine.Core’ (is there a missing reference to an assembly?)

Can anybody help – I am quite new here.

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:02 PM

If you download any of the builds from the Source Code tab, it's required to build/compile the BlogEngine core project.  When that project is built, you'll have a new BlogEngine.Core.dll file that you will put into your BIN folder.  The BE core project can be built using the free Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition (if you don't already have Visual Studio installed on your computer).

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Thanks a lot Ben – it really works fine now. I thought in my naivety that it already was done by you the contributor of the ZIP file, and that the content of the bin folder was missing.

Thanks again!

Jul 7, 2009 at 9:44 AM

I would like to use the multiple widget zone and all other updates included in the current BlogEngine ver or higher source code. Hence the first person - and only one person - (must be a registered developer of codeplex - ) who sends to me a built/complied version of blogengine core project will receive $ 50 via paypal. My email is