Adding a widget to column

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:05 AM
Im using a new theme (i3Theme) and I would like to add a widget to the leftcolumn.  Most of it is very easy but there is one thing that Im missing, in the snippit below I always get stuck on the portion that reads "<blog:TagCloud ".  This particular widget isnt a problem, its when attemptint to try to add new ones.  
For example, if I wanted to add the Textbox widget... how or where can I find the correct values to add for behind <blog:??? >
<!--sidebox start -->
<div id="tags" class="dbx-box widget_tags">
    <h3 class="dbx-handle">
    <div class="dbx-content">
         <blog:TagCloud ID="TagCloud1" runat="server" />
<!--sidebox end -->
Jun 17, 2009 at 3:55 AM

<blog:TagCloud ...> isn't a widget -- it's a control.  To use widgets, you'll want to instead add:

<blog:WidgetZone runat="server" />

In the Standard theme that comes with BE, you'll find this in the site.master file.  If the i3Theme doesn't already have a <blog:WidgetZone> control, then you may want to also add some of the accompanying CSS styles for the widget zone that can be found in the Standard theme's style.css file.  These styles are in a section in the CSS file labeled "Widgets".

Once you are using a WidgetZone, you'll be able to add Tag Cloud widgets, a TextBox widget, and other widgets too.

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Thank you, I think the problem is that the person who ported this theme took a few shortcuts and it really doesnt work properly.  Very nice looking though.

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:56 PM

After doing some research I would have to agree that my biggest gripe so far about BE is the lack of Themes that work correctly.   Maybe 1.5 will change all that?

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Quite a lot of themes include Widget Zone controls in them.  The site at the link below has a pretty large collection of BE themes, including live previews.  You can take a look to see if you find something you like.  Also, if you're just getting your blog going and you're using BE 1.4.5, then yes, it would be better to start off with BE 1.5 since there's a lot of updates included in 1.5 that weren't in 1.4.5.

Jun 18, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Instead of embedding video in a post, is it possible to create a widget that will pull in a video so that it appears on the sidebar?