blogroll does not show links

Jul 1, 2009 at 3:49 AM

Greetings!
I'm a contributing (donating) user of blogengine for the past 2 years - and really love it.

But now I have a very frustrating problem- the links entered for the blogroll just will not show on the site.  

This can be seen on my blog at: http://ecotope.org/blogs/

The links should be visible at the blogroll control at the right, below categories- and I am using the default links for testing.

Note that I am using the very latest build of blogengine as of today (6/30), and everything else works.  I upgraded using the standard method (delete everything but App_Data, then add back the other directories).

I've done everything I can, but nothing seems to fix this!  Note that my site is hosted at 1&1 on a shared server.

Thank you in advance for any and all help you can offer with this!

-Erle

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:43 AM

It does not look like the arthemia theme displays Blogroll by default so I can only assume that you added the code to do so?  In any case, I just checked it out and it works fine if you add the blogroll section to the site.master file under the arthemia folder.  The "sidebar-right" section should look like this:

<div id="sidebar-right">
	<% if (Page.User.Identity.IsAuthenticated) { %>
	<h3>Admin Menu</h3>
    <uc1:menu ID="Menu1" runat="server" />
	<%} %>
    <h3>Categories</h3>
    <blog:CategoryList ID="cl" runat="server"></blog:CategoryList>
    <h3>BlogRoll</h3>
    <blog:Blogroll ID="br" runat="server"></blog:Blogroll>
</div>  

Your site looks to have some formatting issue since it looks like the sections for Pages/Categories/Blogroll/etc.. are on top of something else, like comments or something.  It looks like you replaced the google ad section with an About section and this may not have been done correctly.  More than likely you either removed the "sidebar-ads" div or you left some of the javascript tagging from the google ads.  I think your Author List section should look something like this:

<div id="sidebar">
<div id="sidebar-ads">
<h3>About</h3>
<blog:AuthorList ID="al" runat="server"></blog:AuthorList>
</div> 
In any case, when you modded the theme something was not done correctly.  Hope some of that helps.

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Thanks for checking this out and for your advice!  You are right- I modded the theme- and I am no expert, just hacked it to get it to work- and decided to live with some of the issues.

So, I tried both things you reccommended, and unfortunately no real changes.
1) Changing About- I prefer the logo and text I have- but I did try the author list, which worked fine (it is at bottom too), but did not clear up the formatting of things on top of other things.
I think that this is caused by the way arthemia works- everything is layered with clear areas between sections.  The part showing "underneath" is the overrun from the "Featured" section, which has a longer list than can be shown in the window.  I would love to fix this, but I have found no way to limit the number of posts listed in the Featured section.  If this could be limited to 3 or 4 posts, that would solve the problem.  Or maybe you have another idea?

2) As for the Blogroll, I've put in your code- which is basically the same as what I put in (except for the ID="Blogroll1" that I had).  As you can see, this still doesn't work.  Moreover, it also doesn't work if I change the theme to the Standard that comes with the latest version of BE.  So it is something more basic than the theme that is preventing this from working.  Any ideas?

Thanks so much for your help with this!
-Erle

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:27 PM

FYI- I've solved the "running down the page" problem by using an invisible category for Featured posts and limiting it to 3 posts at a time.

I'd still love to solve the blogroll problem I posted at the top!  Note that this problem is independent of the theme- it doesn't work with the most recent Standard theme either.  Also- this may have something to do with my shared hosting?  1and1?

Thanks to anyone out there who can solve this!

Coordinator
Jul 4, 2009 at 3:27 AM

erleellis: I went to your blog, and I see the Blogroll on the right side (to the right of Pages and below About).  I see 3 links in your blogroll.  Are you not seeing those links?  Or is there something else you're looking for?

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Hi Ben,

Thanks for checking this out!  Actually, I gave up on the regular blogroll system, and went to the updated Linklist widget. 

This does work- but it would be nicer to work with the Blogroll widget- gives more options.

But at this point, I can at least add links to the site pretty easily using the linklist widget.

So the main reason for a fix would be to figure out why the blogroll doesn't work, unless others are having the same problem.

Thanks!

-Erle