Problems with SEO and pagination

Topics: Themes
Jun 2, 2015 at 1:19 PM
Hello there,

I just upgraded from an old Blogengine.1x to the latest and was suprised to see the same technical issues still there with the way the blog works.

There's lots of issues with content and google, things like hundreds / thousands of ?tag= pages indexed that could be avoided by having disallow in the robots.txt.

This one was easy to fix, but the one i'm stuck on is, that if you go to the blog, and scroll down and click pages 2, 3, 4, they all have the same page title and are a problem for people who actually want their blog to be seen.

I still can't believe this hasn't been fixed up until version 3!

Anyhow, the best way to deal with this for us would be to simply add a robots=noindex,follow meta tag to the paginated pages.

I'm trying to detect the query string page= in the url and add this header by modifying the site.master file, and adding this into the head section
<asp:ContentPlaceHolder ID="HeadContent" runat="server">
<%if ( HttpContext.Current.Request.Url.PathAndQuery.IndexOf("page") >= 0 )

{

// contains full stop

}%>
</asp:ContentPlaceHolder>

it seems to work correctly but when i do this

{

// contains full stop
response.write("my meta robots tag here")
}%>

The blog generates just a blank page

Can somebody help me with that please?

Thank you!

Nick
Jun 2, 2015 at 3:47 PM
OK, I guess there is nobody here, so I will solve it myself

{
%> <META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="noindex, follow"><%
// contains full stop

}%>

Bit of a nasty hack but it works.

Still can't believe this blog is like a decade old and nobody has even bothered fixing the technical issues. Anybody who uses this out of the box is gunna end up with a panda penalty before they know it.

It's not rocket science, run xenu on the blog and u will see tons of pages with ?tag= creating duplicates, no rel=next or rel=prev on pagination (my solution is more reliable) and tons of pages with the same titles, you don't even bother to add page X or anything to the paginated page titles

It's just sloppy and crap and could be fixed in 1 hour.

Still shocked really.

Nick
Jun 6, 2015 at 10:13 AM
Hi,

I tried your code, but unfortunately all I see is a blank page, after adding the code to the sitemaster.
I'm really not sure why.

DanVest