BlogEngine.NET 1.5 using Microsoft SQL Server

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Aug 2, 2009 at 9:10 PM
Hi All, I have just set up BE to work with MS SQL Server and the home page loads just fine. But when I go to change password or add users I am getting the following Error: "Access to the path 'E:\Inetpub\......\BlogEngine.Web\App_Data\users.xml' is denied." Well that seemed simple to fix but I double checked all my permissions to the App_Data file and all is set to go go go. Soo I checked out my web.config file yet again and : <configSections> <sectionGroup name="BlogEngine"> <section name="blogProvider" requirePermission="false" type="BlogEngine.Core.Providers.BlogProviderSection, BlogEngine.Core" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication" restartOnExternalChanges="true"/> </sectionGroup> </configSections> <BlogEngine> <blogProvider defaultProvider="DbBlogProvider"> <providers> <add name="XmlBlogProvider" type="BlogEngine.Core.Providers.XmlBlogProvider, BlogEngine.Core"/> <add name="DbBlogProvider" type="BlogEngine.Core.Providers.DbBlogProvider, BlogEngine.Core" connectionStringName="BlogEngine"/> </providers> </blogProvider> </BlogEngine> <!-- configSource is not implemented in Mono. <connectionStrings configSource="sql.config" /> --> <connectionStrings> <clear/> <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="dummy"/> <!-- Mono complains if LocalSqlServer isn't specified --> <add name="BlogEngine" connectionString="Data Source=sql.XXXXcom;User ID=local-Yokels;Password=XXXXXpersist security info=False;initial catalog=XXXXX;" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/> </connectionStrings> Now there is some inconsistancies between the Video instructions and the documentation instructions concerning the the Provider name. In the Video MSSQLBlogProvider is used while in the doc's DbBlogProvider is used. I could not get the thing to work at all with MSSQLBlogProvider but I could get it to open the home page with DbBlogProvider so I went with that. The question then arrises that if I have switched to the SQL provider then why is access to the App_Data file an issue especially since I have the permissions set properly? I thank you all in advance for any help with this as I have spent about 4 hours with this issue to no avail, Gehres
Aug 2, 2009 at 9:12 PM
FYI, I went to edit the above mess to make it read easier and was unable to do so as the link seems to be broken.
Aug 2, 2009 at 9:20 PM
Ok, I'm an idiot. I forgot to give permissions to the NETWORK SERVICE account on II6. But nice chatting with you all anyway! Cut code not farts, Gehres